Ivy Watch

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the supers off a fortnight ago, there was a strong smell of Ivy and the bees were very busy. We timed it just right.

Heavens, after replying to Millet, I'm glad I noticed the date of your post; had me worried for a minute
I blame dlawr42103 for opening up an old thread

Photos attached... before and after hornet grabbed her

Attachments

• IMG_0556.JPG
    IMG_0556.JPG
    539.2 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0555.JPG
    IMG_0555.JPG
    497.8 KB · Views: 76
Incredible to have caught those pics!

First open Ivy flowers spotted here yesterday.

My nuc has found some Ivy pollen, but I have not seen any in bloom myself yet!

Yesterday saw the first open buds I've seen this summer in a sheltered enclosed rear garden

Hoping for a few more weeks before the rest come out

Flowering on the sunny side of the house but looks weeks behind in other places. I heard bees on it yesterday and went closer to see what the fuss was about. I hadn't realised it was anywhere near flowering yet.

Just coming into flower when I had a good look on Sunday.

Last edited:
It has a nasty medicinal flavour and sets really hard. It is a great autumn feed for the bees though. I often don't need to feed sugar as my bees find tonnes of it here. If it were marketed well we could probably sell it at a ridiculous price as medical honey with that smell. Either that or rub it on your chest instead of vics

Why does no one want ivy? Are supers not off yet?

I usually take mine off about now ... bees are still foraging here and the Ivy is not in bloom so probably next weekend for me ... as has been said - Ivy honey sets very quickly and very hard and it's got a unique (most would say unpleasant !) flavour ...

First of the ivy flowers opening in Oxfordshire... A little earlier than last year.

Up here in the hills of N Oxon we are usually a couple of weeks behind Oxford, but I saw first flowers yesterday - covered in wasps but not bees!

(Yes,I know my profile says Warks - that's where the bees are - I live over the hill :) )

Last edited:
It has a nasty medicinal flavour and sets really hard. It is a great autumn feed for the bees though. I often don't need to feed sugar as my bees find tonnes of it here. If it were marketed well we could probably sell it at a ridiculous price as medical honey with that smell. Either that or rub it on your chest instead of vics

Thanks, yes I got a whiff of it today, for us its a handy fill in until the eucalyptus which has a similar smell.

Just got back from the in-laws in Worcester. Their garden is full of ivy bees. Fascinating things. They're welcome to it.

According to this website, fourth paragraph down,

irishdarknativehoneybees.com

ivy and heather "causes dysentery and soiling within the hive" for non-black bees, I think Buckfast may be being referred to. I just wondered what the members thoughts were on this claim, if true then with all the ivy around black bees would be best? Also read the fifth paragraph for further info.

I also see there are some members which I think are commercial, and seem to focus very much on Heather Honey, so they should have good first hand knowledge.

Hope I haven't opened a can of worms, just wondering as our Winters can be a tad longer than on the continent.

I'd take what you read about other races on a black bee site with a pinch of salt if I were you.

Actually, I'd take what you read about black bees on a black bee site with a larger pinch .

Latest posts

Back