Ivy frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob55

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have almost a full super of ivy honey, so decided as an experiment to leave two frames outside about 100 yards from my apiary to see if the bees would clean them out. Well after about a week, there have been bees working the two frames every day but they seem to be making slow progress with much of the ivy honey still in there, the bees seem to be making several small holes in each of the cells and the wax is getting chewed up as well but they aren't really cleaning the cells out too well.

I have put the remaining 6 frames of ivy plus 4 fresh foundation frames in a super above a QE in my strongest hive, the bees are drawing out the fresh foundation nicely but I am unsure as to the value of the ivy frames. What would you do with them?

I would never put frames outside a hive for bees to 'use'. You have 2 colonies. What if one has disease?? This is the easiest way to transmit disease. Wild bees will also visit, or bees from other colonies that you may be unaware of.

You could wrap those frames in clingfilm, store till next Autumn and use them as food stores.

I would never put frames outside a hive for bees to 'use'. You have 2 colonies. What if one has disease?? This is the easiest way to transmit disease. Wild bees will also visit, or bees from other colonies that you may be unaware of.

You could wrap those frames in clingfilm, store till next Autumn and use them as food stores.

As above, also this encourages robbing and wasp attacks

If you wanted to have them cleaned out scrape or 'bruise' the capping’s and put the super above a crown board so the bees can get at them. If they have set hard them spray them with warm water before putting them in the super.

It'll hardly induce robbing if it's 100 yards away from the apiary ?

It induces mass feeding with many bees mixing from other colonies. Very risky. Poor practice.

Very poor practice which all beekeepers should be very much aware of. Look up AFB hotspots.

Another US practice that should not be transferred to UK beekeeping. Never mind if one of your colonies has a brood disease, what about the rest of the colonies in about a mile or two radius?

Fair enough advice, will avoid going forward.

The others have replied about the dangers of disease spreading.

I would also say that the reason the frames aren't cleaned out by the bees is that they have to travel to them and will need water to dissolve the set honey.

I would suggest, as already mentioned, that on the hive in a super not only can more of the workforce get to it, they have the water supply in the hive and can work anytime day or night on cleaning the frames out.

Alternatively as suggested store and use in autumn.

finman had a way of cleaning them up a while back, a search might bring it up

finman had a way of cleaning them up a while back, a search might bring it up

Yes ... I was looking at that post ...uncaps and puts the frames in a bath of warm water and dissolves it out from memory ...there was a bit more to it than that but perhaps someone can find the post .. it was buried in another thread. Or perhaps Finnie can refresh our memories please ?

Frames in wishdosher?

As good a thread on ivy frames to bump as any other. I've had some luck using water but it's sloooooooooooow work.

I have a 55C setting on the dishwasher and I have heard that ivy honey reliquefies at 50-odd. That's not critical. What IS critical is that 55C < the melting point of wax. So this whould work. Before I risk my life with SWMBO, has anyone ever tried it??

As good a thread on ivy frames to bump as any other. I've had some luck using water but it's sloooooooooooow work.

I have a 55C setting on the dishwasher and I have heard that ivy honey reliquefies at 50-odd. That's not critical. What IS critical is that 55C < the melting point of wax. So this whould work. Before I risk my life with SWMBO, has anyone ever tried it??

Sorry if I've missed something obvious, but at this time of the year (rather than March when the thread originated), what is your problem with simply laving the stuff for the bees to use?

Bung it underneath and, if you still have a problem in March, deal with it then.

Much better* than messing with a dishwasher.

* For the bees, and your relationship … :)

Not at all sure what is supposed to be going on in the dishwasher. A cold wash could remove sugar by dissolving, and the power of the water may well destroy the comb anyway.

What is it that makes people try to complicate things. Keep it simple. Bees have collected it, bees will use it. If not now, then later. The beekeeper is there to help them out, not to destroy all their hard work.

Not at all sure what is supposed to be going on in the dishwasher. A cold wash could remove sugar by dissolving, and the power of the water may well destroy the comb anyway.

What is it that makes people try to complicate things. Keep it simple. Bees have collected it, bees will use it. If not now, then later. The beekeeper is there to help them out, not to destroy all their hard work.

I don't have an ivy flow; I have a flood, still (this storm may end it). I have one colony that is a bit weaker with a mite problem but my other 2 main colonies are on full double-brood already. I don't want to winter either on triple brood and nor do I want too many ivy frames in spring. Nobody is taking anything down (weather may change that) so I have about 5 frames that need a home.

Back