Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Skyhook 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
My girls have been on apiguard for 5 weeks and 5 days, and are have been dropping 80-100/day all through, with no signs of slowing. In the last few days I've started seeing sub-standard bees dead or moribund around the hive- some black, some very small- and for the last couple of weeks there have been some bits of bee on the tray. I've tried doing some rough calculations, and it seems to me that a population of 2000 mites could have a turnover of 80-100/day. In summer they were a big strong colony- now I'm wondering if they're going to survive.

Has anyone else had mite drops like this, and how did it end?

Polyanwood 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Apiguard works. Have you put on 3 trays? - 1 then another after 2 weeks then another after 2 weeks?

With a high mite drop I would treat until the drop slows down. If you haven't, I'd put on a third tray.

I think they will be OK. Fingers crossed for you.

Skyhook 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Apiguard works. Have you put on 3 trays? - 1 then another after 2 weeks then another after 2 weeks?

With a high mite drop I would treat until the drop slows down. If you haven't, I'd put on a third tray.

I think they will be OK. Fingers crossed for you.
Thanks polyanwood. Yes, they're on their third tray now, put it in about a week ago. Hve also now reduced entrance down to about 2 inches- advice seems to be not to, but getting desparate to kill these bl**dy mites before they kill my bees. :smash:

Polyanwood 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I always reduce entrance and close the OMF when I treat with apiguard or with HM's oasis thymol mixture.

I reckon you have done everything you can. Next question is whether you will treat with oxalic acid in midwinter too???

Skyhook 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I always reduce entrance and close the OMF when I treat with apiguard or with HM's oasis thymol mixture.

I reckon you have done everything you can. Next question is whether you will treat with oxalic acid in midwinter too???
I think I'll have to. Makes me a bit nervous, but I can't see myself getting rid of enough mites at this rate.

Polyanwood 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I think maybe you should, even though there does seem some evidence that if reduces queens lifespan I heard....but what other choice???

i am thymolising my winter syrup as per hivemakers other recipe to stave off nosema and also in the hope that it will have some effect against varroa.. but I think that last bit might be me hoping not knowing!!

admin 

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Thymol does not have a 100% knockdown rate.
If you still have a problem after treatment then Oxalic acid at xmas may be the way to go.

Is your queen still in lay ?
You need her laying for your winter bees.

Edit: sorry Poly just noticed your post above.

jezd 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
Number of Hives
admin, are you running a OA poll for usage this year? I for one have major doubts given the impact on my bees last year

admin 

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I think we should run a poll.

I have used Oxalic acid the last 2 years but think I will pick and choose this year what colonies get treaded if any.

Skyhook 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
i am thymolising my winter syrup as per hivemakers other recipe to stave off nosema and also in the hope that it will have some effect against varroa.. but I think that last bit might be me hoping not knowing!!
Same here- but I've only just started feeding a couple of days ago (was hoping to finish apiguard first, and they've got enough stores for the moment- avout 4 frames) and they're not taking it. Don't know if it's the thymol in the syrup (well, honey actually) or the apiguard.

Probably should expand on that- put feeder on with some cappings/honey I've had put by, and they were in there like a shot. Took away the cleaned cappings, added some honey I took from frames that were unfinished honey, thinned it back to 66%, thymolated and put that in, 2 days later it's all still there.

Admin: Is your queen still in lay ?
You need her laying for your winter bees.

Barely. last weekend, looked like a few dozen eggs and larvae. There was a decent number of new bees learning to fly, but of course that shows how she was laying a few weeks ago.

tazbee 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
dadant
Number of Hives
Hi Skyhook

One of my hives (very strong) 80 -100 drop a day with apiguard 3rd tray put in on Monday, drop still very high, will be applying O/A Dec/Jan. :willy_nilly:

Other hives 10-15 a day drop now nil,I won't treat with O/A

Hope your situation gets better soon

John

MJBee 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
16 a mix of Commercial, National, 14 x 12, Dadant and a Warre
I have just finished the 4 week Apiguard cycle on my 10 colonies and 1 Nuc.

Very wide difference in miter drop across the apiary. 3 colonies are on double brood National - worst 5711 best 804. The commercials - worst 3422 best 172.

I plan to give them a week without Apiguard and monitor the daily drop, any that average above 8 per day will get more treatment until the drop is below 8/day.

All the colonies are Q+ and there is brood in all stages although my eyesight is not as good as it was I have seen no sign of mites or virus affected bees. The mite drop should have meant colony collapse but they are thriving.:blush5:

Skyhook - keep treating and all appendages crossed.

Skyhook 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Skyhook - keep treating and all appendages crossed.
Thanks- I will. Drop's slightly lower today- hoping it may be the beginning of the end. Everything crossed, and staying that way.

Latest posts