Is there any hope?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyhook

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
My girls have been on apiguard for 5 weeks and 5 days, and are have been dropping 80-100/day all through, with no signs of slowing. In the last few days I've started seeing sub-standard bees dead or moribund around the hive- some black, some very small- and for the last couple of weeks there have been some bits of bee on the tray. I've tried doing some rough calculations, and it seems to me that a population of 2000 mites could have a turnover of 80-100/day. In summer they were a big strong colony- now I'm wondering if they're going to survive.

Has anyone else had mite drops like this, and how did it end?

Apiguard works. Have you put on 3 trays? - 1 then another after 2 weeks then another after 2 weeks?

With a high mite drop I would treat until the drop slows down. If you haven't, I'd put on a third tray.

I think they will be OK. Fingers crossed for you.

Apiguard works. Have you put on 3 trays? - 1 then another after 2 weeks then another after 2 weeks?

With a high mite drop I would treat until the drop slows down. If you haven't, I'd put on a third tray.

I think they will be OK. Fingers crossed for you.

Thanks polyanwood. Yes, they're on their third tray now, put it in about a week ago. Hve also now reduced entrance down to about 2 inches- advice seems to be not to, but getting desparate to kill these bl**dy mites before they kill my bees. :smash:

I always reduce entrance and close the OMF when I treat with apiguard or with HM's oasis thymol mixture.

I reckon you have done everything you can. Next question is whether you will treat with oxalic acid in midwinter too???

I always reduce entrance and close the OMF when I treat with apiguard or with HM's oasis thymol mixture.

I reckon you have done everything you can. Next question is whether you will treat with oxalic acid in midwinter too???

I think I'll have to. Makes me a bit nervous, but I can't see myself getting rid of enough mites at this rate.

I think maybe you should, even though there does seem some evidence that if reduces queens lifespan I heard....but what other choice???

i am thymolising my winter syrup as per hivemakers other recipe to stave off nosema and also in the hope that it will have some effect against varroa.. but I think that last bit might be me hoping not knowing!!

Thymol does not have a 100% knockdown rate.
If you still have a problem after treatment then Oxalic acid at xmas may be the way to go.

Is your queen still in lay ?
You need her laying for your winter bees.

Edit: sorry Poly just noticed your post above.

admin, are you running a OA poll for usage this year? I for one have major doubts given the impact on my bees last year

I think we should run a poll.

I have used Oxalic acid the last 2 years but think I will pick and choose this year what colonies get treaded if any.

i am thymolising my winter syrup as per hivemakers other recipe to stave off nosema and also in the hope that it will have some effect against varroa.. but I think that last bit might be me hoping not knowing!!

Same here- but I've only just started feeding a couple of days ago (was hoping to finish apiguard first, and they've got enough stores for the moment- avout 4 frames) and they're not taking it. Don't know if it's the thymol in the syrup (well, honey actually) or the apiguard.

Probably should expand on that- put feeder on with some cappings/honey I've had put by, and they were in there like a shot. Took away the cleaned cappings, added some honey I took from frames that were unfinished honey, thinned it back to 66%, thymolated and put that in, 2 days later it's all still there.

Admin: Is your queen still in lay ?
You need her laying for your winter bees.

Barely. last weekend, looked like a few dozen eggs and larvae. There was a decent number of new bees learning to fly, but of course that shows how she was laying a few weeks ago.

Hi Skyhook

One of my hives (very strong) 80 -100 drop a day with apiguard 3rd tray put in on Monday, drop still very high, will be applying O/A Dec/Jan. :willy_nilly:

Other hives 10-15 a day drop now nil,I won't treat with O/A

Hope your situation gets better soon

John

I have just finished the 4 week Apiguard cycle on my 10 colonies and 1 Nuc.

Very wide difference in miter drop across the apiary. 3 colonies are on double brood National - worst 5711 best 804. The commercials - worst 3422 best 172.

I plan to give them a week without Apiguard and monitor the daily drop, any that average above 8 per day will get more treatment until the drop is below 8/day.

All the colonies are Q+ and there is brood in all stages although my eyesight is not as good as it was I have seen no sign of mites or virus affected bees. The mite drop should have meant colony collapse but they are thriving.:blush5:

Skyhook - keep treating and all appendages crossed.

Skyhook - keep treating and all appendages crossed.

Thanks- I will. Drop's slightly lower today- hoping it may be the beginning of the end. Everything crossed, and staying that way.

Latest posts

Back