Is it time to start the Varroa treatment on the hives?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes most definately , most major forage is over and flows stopped a few weeks ago for most.

I started my course of OAV treatments on Monday/Tuesday , this time next week my treatment should be done with until I carry out a one off vape early to mid Oct to check for any reinfestation.
The mites need reducing as the winter brood will soon be being produced.

Last edited:
I’ve just done my first vape ( one colony is on its second as it is badly infested)
Overnight drops are expectedly high apart from two
What are drops like on (our) queen.

Have you sampled for varroa population? Is the varroa population below treatment threshold...whatever that is.
I lost a lot of nucs in our university breeding program because we went with a TS of 2%. We've reduced the TS to 1%. We'll see about that. We're finding some really awesome bees that have responded well to Freeze Killed Brood assay (FKB) and unhealthy brood odor (UBO). Very encouraging.

My garden colony has dropped at least 400 or so mites since Tuesday.
They have been my best performers this year , recently requeened under perfect SS and produced a honey crop of 243lbs .

Hi,
Is it time to start the Varroa treatment in the hives?
Thanks
It so much depends on your local conditions and your bees ... you can never do things by the calendar in beekeeping. If they need it (proper test) then you should treat ..regardless of what the date is.

Have you sampled for varroa population? Is the varroa population below treatment threshold...whatever that is.
I lost a lot of nucs in our university breeding program because we went with a TS of 2%. We've reduced the TS to 1%. We'll see about that. We're finding some really awesome bees that have responded well to Freeze Killed Brood assay (FKB) and unhealthy brood odor (UBO). Very encouraging.
Sorry Mike, "TS"?

Back