Supers and varroa treatments

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why is apibioxal considered ok to use but pure OA not? Is there an additive that makes it safer?
LOL it's mixed with sugar additive which I understand has been used to great effect as a precursor to sugar and fertiliser explosive by various organizations and many teenage boys (and girls?) with a scientific interest. 😎

LOL it's mixed with sugar additive which I understand has been used to great effect as a precursor to sugar and fertiliser explosive by various organizations and many teenage boys (and girls?) with a scientific interest. 😎
you wouldn't believe the things we were using to blow things up (to great effect) a few years ago at the bomb making class at the Defence academy in Shrivenham - OA never featured, although chapati flour and 'just add water' powdered fruit drinks did.
Which brings me back to the illogical application of the act in this case, the whitehall mandarins just decided to tweak and gold plate an act which dealt with precursors (ingredients which could indicate illicit production of explosives or dangerous drugs) however, a few years before that, just for 'neatness' they had also added a chapter listing poisons (many, fairly 'harmless' and innocuous, but were poisons, so had to be listed), thus for no logical reason this was also subject to the new enhanced restrictions.
OA is not a precursor, is not used in the production of explosives or drugs, but was scooped up in the catchall and IMHO is probably only under the spotlight due to pressure from the apibioxial type manufacturers and the BBKA which has always been dead set against use of OA in anything apart from winter trickling.

you wouldn't believe the things we were using to blow things up (to great effect) a few years ago at the bomb making class at the Defence academy in Shrivenham - OA never featured, although chapati flour and 'just add water' powdered fruit drinks did.
Which brings me back to the illogical application of the act in this case, the whitehall mandarins just decided to tweak and gold plate an act which dealt with precursors (ingredients which could indicate illicit production of explosives or dangerous drugs) however, a few years before that, just for 'neatness' they had also added a chapter listing poisons (many, fairly 'harmless' and innocuous, but were poisons, so had to be listed), thus for no logical reason this was also subject to the new enhanced restrictions.
OA is not a precursor, is not used in the production of explosives or drugs, but was scooped up in the catchall and IMHO is probably only under the spotlight due to pressure from the apibioxial type manufacturers and the BBKA which has always been dead set against use of OA in anything apart from winter trickling.
Part of my career was Factory Engineer at a Glucose refinery which used Farina (potato starch) as it's raw material. Like most carbon containing powder compounds it was explosive if suspended in Air. Consequently we were "visited" by the factory inspector more than most. We soon realized he wouldn't piss off until he found something to crib about so we used to set up little defects and steer him towards them. Once noted he went away happy.
We had two silos holding 1000 tons of starch but oddly he didn't seem to want to climb up the exterior staircase to the head house extraction plant. It was extremely physically exhausting so that was probably a factor

I’d really like to leave my supers on until perhaps the second week of September as we’ve loads of Himalayan balsam here.

My varroa treatment is vaping oxalic acid (multiple vapes at 5 day intervals) and I understand you’re not supposed to do that with supers on…although I’m not sure if it’s a case of ‘its not ideal to vape with supers on but your honey will be perfectly safe to eat if you do’…..,,or ‘you absolutely can’t vape with supers on as it will ruin your honey and make it unfit to consume’

What do people do with regards to varroa treatment if they leave their supers on for a late crop?
Probably more oxalic acid in a plateful of spinach than would 'taint' the honey in supers.

I don’t think you’re right. You can buy it by the kilo online quite legally.
Tried APC for Oxalic crystals took payment then asked for proof of business ect ,they will refund .managed to get 4 x400gms elsewhere so pleased will last me a while for cleaning wood .
John

L

Sure is but a fellow beek of mine gave me the source otherwise I may have been stuffed ,If you would like to know I will post it .
John
Thanks John, I posted earlier in this thread about APC after having the same problem. It's a pain they accept your payment first and then ask for details, I sourced it elsewhere after arranging a refund.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back