is beekeeping an old mans game?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biglongdarren

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20+
is there a poll on here to see what age most of the beekeepers are ...ad be interested to know,if not heres one here..
Darren.

Oh, yes it is, . . . It's behind you!

Ahhhhh . . . No, it's not.

I started at age of 15 and now I am almost 64. Draw from that.

35 years ago, a splended future ahead

finman.jpg

Last edited:
There are probably regional differences but round here the average age is quite high. I fear many young folk have enough financial pressures on them and the cost of setting up conventional beekeeping can be quite high. The cost of bees alone must scare off many. Our current beginners' course is all middle aged and beyond. (But don't tell them I said that!)

Gulp.....I hope not! Or I'm going to feel very out of place ha ha :p

i'm 28 i like kitesurfing wakeboards snowboards climing canoeing etc and beekeeping :party:

I always knew I was different!! :) Mind you, my local assoc. is definately toys for the boys...

I've just turned 41 but I look 28.

*cough*

(well, perhaps 35)

Well:

Man : Tick
Old: Cross (hopefully)

In my mind I am still young but given that many of the lads and lasses I play Badminton with are amazed I can still stand let alone still play I think the view of "Old" might be somewhat subjective!

My Assoc is mainly Men older than me..... but I am sure at least a few still think they are young.

I'm not a day over 41.

Several days ? yes...
Several hundred days ? yes
Several thousand days? not saying.

I'm always in a good mood - after I've been given my medicine...:biggrinjester::mad:

(I am still young enough to run in..http://www.dovedaledash.acwager.co.uk/ )

Last edited:
Life begins for me in one onth and three days...

Does it matter? Even if a lot of people only get into beekeeping when they're retired, well, that's OK... recently, lots more people have taken an interest in beekeeping as a hobby, so it doesn't look like it's going to die out due to lack of newcomers. The only loss is perhaps the loss of beekeepers with a lifetime's experience - but then they were never that common!

Interestingly, several of the "professional" beeks I can think of, i.e. those attempting to make all or part of their income from bees, have been young men (i.e. in their 20s). Plus, the oldest beekeeper I know has a young protegee - his great-nephew is keen to become a beekeeper and join the business. It's very pleasing when that happens, and a sign that established skills may yet be preserved.

whilst iam coming up fast to 41 i look more like 151, very hard paper round as a kid.

i was introduced to beekeeping by a guy who was my farm teacher at school, yes farming as a lesson at school!!

it does worry me that there is very little or hard to find young blood coming into bee keeping. may be we should as a group look into ways we could try to connect to local youngsters ??

Life begins at 40 so I'm only 2

Feel old but can't help if I'm one of the youngest members of my Assoc.
:eek:

Latest posts

Back