is beekeeping an old mans game?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm old enough to have "O" Levels but too young to remember England winning the World Cup (the beautiful game that is).
My wife is too young to remember Pele. I almost succeeded giving one of my boys "Pele" as a middle name until somebody gave the game away.

And I have a beard. But I don't do Morris dancing.

in my forties, no beard but come from a family of beekeepers so the urge was too strong to resist.... 4 years of my own bees now :) my kids are interested enough to don a bee suit themselves and cover for me when I disappear to "just have a look" so I have high hopes, even if it will take them 20 years to remember bees are inportant and that their dad kept bees

I looked into a hive for the very first time when I was 16 and thought that I'd like to keep bees. I got my first nuc 36 years later!!

My father, who forbade me from keeping bees when I was a lad now has his own bees his garden as well, first season at age 84.

Ian

Last edited:
Dont need reminding how old I am thankyou....

i'm 28 i like kitesurfing wakeboards snowboards climing canoeing etc and beekeeping :party:

when I was young we only had a stick to play with.....

Now I have a campervan, a caravan, a Mercedes and a Bentley.

and bees.....

Last edited:
The important question is surely: Is 80 too old to start bungee jumping?

I am scared of heights so the longer I delay the better..:rofl:

I started when I was 8 helping out with a friend of my parents who kept bees. Got my own bees at 45 and now teaching my kids who are 8, 13 and 15. I have to say that the younger generation love it and I always have help on hand when visiting the bees. They are very keen to help with honey harvest too.

we are both under 50... and I first started when I was 13, stopped when 22 and started again a couple of years ago... and cor what a difference between then and now, and also how much the same it all is... a lot more work now than it used to be...

26, and hoping to bring the scary word of "Modernisation" to our associations training program and ways of working. They'll hate me :)

Turned 36 yesterday and only started with bees last year along with my father and a mate. Our mentor started keeping bees at the age of 6 and has now clocked up well over 60 years of working with them.

Turned 73 last year which makes me a pup in our association :).
94 and going strong is the eldest member :rofl:

John Wilkinson

Thought I should answer this thread this week. So I can say I am in my 40's - because next week I'm 50

:cuss:

started when i was 25. i am soon to be 50. wish i was 25 again with what i know now.

What was the question - Is beekeeping an old man's game?
Nah, old women's game, and from the look of it there are more of them than gender alone might indicate!
62, and just starting out, after a childhood watching closely and being beaten back in case I got stung (never did, despite my proximity to the action). I was a determined follower. Ah well, no doubt my turn has come.

Started when I was 11 with a friend (who was also 11)... I am now 15. I happen to know about 5 other beeks my age through the schools that I have attended.

On this forum members xwb and michaelf are teenagers as well.

Would I say beeking is an old man's game???
Yes... at the moment... But with increasing awareness about the hobby and the increasing "trendiness" of it I'm sure the average age of a beekeeper will decrease (if it hasn't already) in the very near future.

And who hasn't been reading the new posts very carefully??? I posted a poll on this a couple of months ago:-

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8029

Ben P

Latest posts

Back