New to beekeeping, helping with some hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helenedione

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi there, I'm heather

I've moved into a community which has two hives. At the moment no one who lives here knows about beekeeping since the beekeeper moved out, so I'm hoping to bone up on this forum.

Thankfully a local experienced beekeeper has been helping us out for now which is great, and meant the bees are being looked after properly, but it would be good if we also know what we're doing!

Thanks for welcoming me :)

I just had a thought - that much like if a hive has lost it's queen (and correct me if I'm wrong) the colony must develop a new queen to replace her, so we as a community, who has lost it's beekeeper, must now train up a new beekeeper! :p

I just had a thought - that much like if a hive has lost it's queen (and correct me if I'm wrong) the colony must develop a new queen to replace her, so we as a community, who has lost it's beekeeper, must now train up a new beekeeper! :p
Good for you .. get stuck in, beekeeping is fascinating, rewarding and occasionally frustrating and hard work. Lots of advice always available on this forum but you need to get stuck into a bee book or two before you will know the questions to ask. The Haynes Manual of Beekeeping will give you an idea of what's involved and give you a beekeeping by numbers start in the first year or so.

Best add you location to your profile as there is a lot of difference even between different locations within the UK and this can affect any advice you are offered.

Better get busy eating lots of proper honey.

Latest posts

Back