Insurance

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the PLI may be more relevant to hive products - honey, wax etc than to people being stung...
Whether it covers products is the sort of information you would expect before paying any premium. It worrying that it's only available after purchase. However well meaning the intention of arranging insurance outside the BBKA, it has to be a more professional offering if it's going to carry any confidence.

Whether it covers products is the sort of information you would expect before paying any premium. It worrying that it's only available after purchase. However well meaning the intention of arranging insurance outside the BBKA, it has to be a more professional offering if it's going to carry any confidence.

I was meaning in general, as a beekeeper, that product liability is as important as direct injury through stings...not referring to this offering in particular.

I was meaning in general, as a beekeeper, that product liability is as important as direct injury through stings...not referring to this offering in particular.
Aplologies for any misunderstanding, I agree. I was taking the comment as referring to the OP about the specific policy on offer. There are policies intended to cover trading at craft fairs etc which would cover product liability if that was all that was required but pemiums I have seen are priced around 50 quid a year. If it's included in general bee related PL insurance for less, that's good value. Is it?

No problem. I haven't seen the policy document, but hope to soon. I notice that the BBKA document is not available until you are a member either, so they are level pegging on that count...

Not sure whether this thread should be resurrected or I should start a new one. A comparison of what the FotB and BBKA insurance policies offer might be worthwhile.

Do either offer PLI for problems with bee products (e.g. shard of glass in a jar of honey)?

What is the excess on both? I think it's £250 on the FotB policy.

How many apiaries/hives do each cover?

Do they cover colonies when on an out-apiary?

Add features to your heart's content.

Compensation for loss of bees due to swarm... natural tendency / mismanagement etc.. or any other reason.

New for old for damage or loss of hive equipment, including theft. or animal ...woodpecker/ badger / deer......

Ill health / accident cover.... qualified beekeeper of you own choice to maintain apiary if you should fall ill ... or for any other reason you can not carry out your beekeeping duties

Will that do for a start ?

Compensation for loss of bees due to swarm... natural tendency / mismanagement etc.. or any other reason.

New for old for damage or loss of hive equipment, including theft. or animal ...woodpecker/ badger / deer......

Ill health / accident cover.... qualified beekeeper of you own choice to maintain apiary if you should fall ill ... or for any other reason you can not carry out your beekeeping duties

Will that do for a start ?

Which is better, and why? FotB, BBKA or something else. There's ony one way to find out...

Seriously. with bees on a 'care farm' with staff, volunteers and special needs service users I'll need insurance very soon. The temptation is just to go for BBKA but I'd like to compare policies before deciding which. Even if I just go for BBKA (because joing my local association gives me that anyway) I'd like to know what I'm getting before I part with money.

Not sure whether this thread should be resurrected or I should start a new one. A comparison of what the FotB and BBKA insurance policies offer might be worthwhile.

Do either offer PLI for problems with bee products (e.g. shard of glass in a jar of honey)?

What is the excess on both? I think it's £250 on the FotB policy.

How many apiaries/hives do each cover?

Do they cover colonies when on an out-apiary?

Some of these questions were asked earlier on in the thread, nobody answered them then, I hope they do now. Otherwise there's no way of making a comparison.

The Welsh Beekeepers' Association provides £5 million public liability insurance to all members of the 19 affiliated associations, and does not support the pesticide industry.

There is a copy of a strongly worded email circulating N of the border from Phil, President of the Scottish Beekeepers Association, to Chandler complaining about his implication that the SBA supports the pesticide industry. It also points out that the cover SBA members get free with membership is better than that on offer by the Biobees scheme.

"Statement re: Further research on neonicotinoid pesticides and bees
The BBKA today reiterates its call for an urgent review of all the available data on the effects of neonicotinoid pesticides on bees. The work reported in Science by Goulson et al on bumblebees and Henry et al on honey bees, is a matter for concern. It is vital that the UK authority, namely the Chemicals Regulation Directorate, reviews this new and other recently published data in depth and reports back in a full and transparent fashion. The findings and limitations of these studies and their relevance to bee health must be subject to scrutiny and appropriate action taken, if justified. The BBKA also renews its call on the competent EU authority to review the regulatory requirements for products in this new class of pesticides in order to detect possible sub-lethal effects which may not be picked-up by current testing regimes.
Over time, the BBKA has campaigned for more research into this group of compounds as evidenced in its paper Honey Bee Health Research Concepts (Jan 2009) and earlier papers submitted to Government. The BBKA itself is funding research on pesticide residues in bee colonies at Keele University.
Honey bees and bumble bees share the same environment and may be exposed to the same negative influences of poor forage availability, diseases, bad weather and agrochemical products. The BBKA is currently conducting its fifth annual winter survey of honey bee colony survival which will be reported as soon as the data is gathered and analysed.
30 March 2012." How does this sit with supporting the pesticide industry?

That's "old news", and overlooks the fact that a certain "officer" still schmoozes for Bayer at European level, and the BBKA is very much "in bed with" the CPA (the pesticide industry propaganda wing)

I think it's also fair to point out that there has never been an apology for getting it wrong bigtime over the sponsorship deals, or perpetuating the ludicrous tie-up for as long as possible - no resignations, no contrition whatsoever!

Latest posts

Back