NBU Varroa warning 27/6/2017

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B+.

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Quite a few
THIS IS AN AUTOMATED EMAIL. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY.

Dear

In some regions of the UK, colonies are starting to show symptoms of high levels of Varroa mites, for example wing deformities and perforated cappings. Therefore, it might be prudent to start monitoring colony mite populations and information on how to do this can be found on page 15 of the Managing Varroa booklet. Also, the Varroa calculator can be used to help calculate your estimated mite population in your colonies:

http://www.nationalbeeunit.com/public/BeeDiseases/varroaCalculator.cfm

If your colonies have a high amount of Varroa, i.e 1000 mites after calculating it from the average drop, you may want to treat them with a registered varroacide. Suitable treatments where brood is present would include:

Apiguard;
Apilife Var;
Apistan*;
Bayvarol*;
Mite Away Quick Strips (MAQS) and;
Thymovar.

If you wish to use an oxalic acid based product then a broodless condition should be created first. Additionally, if you have honey for human consumption on the hives, remember that MAQs is currently the only registered product which can be used. When using any medicines it is important to remember to always follow the manufacturer’s instructions.

*Mite resistance to these products have been recorded and so a resistance test (the Beltsville test) should be carried out before using the product.

To unsubscribe to these updates, follow the link below.

https://secure.fera.defra.gov.uk/beebase/secure/beekeeper/unsubscribe.cfm?id=28301

Kind regards,

National Bee Unit.

In some regions of the UK, colonies are starting to show symptoms of high levels of Varroa mites

Perhaps this is true in some areas but I am seeing hardly any evidence of mites at all. How are others holding up?

Perhaps this is true in some areas but I am seeing hardly any evidence of mites at all. How are others holding up?
I had high varroa levels and treated with MAQS at the start of May.

I don't think my bees have had a brood break over the last few winters as it's been quite warm. Winter oxalic treatments haven't been as effective and this gives the mites a good start in spring.

Did a single OAV after taking supers off on all colonies & nucs in June. Max drop was 20, Most < 5 so I'm assuming I'm OK till September but I based this on if 25 or more mites in colonies with brood then repeat the treatment. Nothing scientific to base this on. Got a dozen or so colonies that I'm requeening so will try and time a repeat OAV when sealed brood is minimal and check the drop again.

I had high varroa levels and treated with MAQS at the start of May.

I don't think my bees have had a brood break over the last few winters as it's been quite warm. Winter oxalic treatments haven't been as effective and this gives the mites a good start in spring.

My x4 winter OAV in december looks like it's been very effective. My June OAV one off check gave very little drop.

Peachy here ... very few mites.

Interesting wording in the NBU statement 'an oxalic acid based product' ... why mention all the others by trade name and just single that one out for separate treatment.

Seeing significant mite levels flaring up in sporadic colonies throughout our whole range.

After oxalic sublimation in Jan where I saw a low drop,(max 40 per hive) there has been low to nil drop on inspection boards. I was wondering if bees are learning to groom better? No DWV seen.

Was a bit high over here, dosed all hives with half rate maqs. Seems to have done the job until honey comes off

You can almost set your watch by these automated 'warnings' every year regardless of conditions we get the early spring starvation warnings then the 'June gap' warnings then the midsummer high mite level warnings.
bees fine around here - nt much sign of heavy infestations

I did an accelerated mite drop on four colonies and had a 24hour mite drop of between 5 and 10.This was prompted by seeing a dead bee with deformed wings on a landing board.
Similar to eyeman, my cut off point is 20
I usually do a sugar roll before supers go on but got caught out with the good weather and supered early.

Everything is weeks early here so I suspect supers will be off early to then I will sugar roll then OAV if needed

You can almost set your watch by these automated 'warnings' every year regardless of conditions we get the early spring starvation warnings then the 'June gap' warnings then the midsummer high mite level warnings.

Maybe, but they are issued by the National Bee Unit.

I think there will always be a June gap of sorts, in some areas more than others. Some colonies will starve in spring and some will struggle with varroa as they build up. We get a lot of new beekeepers every year who will do well to listen to the NBU advice.

I had high mite levels, as have others. I treated my bees last month. The warning is for those who haven't checked mite levels recently.

I did the same, and got similar results too.

Next to no varroa in the drones I've forked recently either and I've forked quite a few just to have a look see.
The thing with varroa is that it's always in the post, that spike in population is on the way sooner or later.
It's not bad advice to keep a close eye on it imo.

Continuing to roll Drones as and when they turn up between the frame cover and top of frames etc, generally levels are looking low, but i dont think that will hold. Most years we get a good brood break here in out dearth mid to late august! will start vaping regardless mid august. i want my numbers down before my winter bees are made!!

Latest posts

Back