Insulation!!!!!!!!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The heretics in my hive were heating the floor level to 16C and the the top to 22C in a British National, measured 7am this morning with the outside temp around -3C and the entrance closed to around 20 cm2 (no conventional mouse guard). But then with their level of insulation they can easily afford to do so (heat output estimated ~ 40 gms sucrose/day) .

I definitely feel happier with the bees under my care apparently able to control their environment.

The heretics in my hive were heating the floor level to 16C and the the top to 22C in a British National, measured 7am this morning with the outside temp around -3C and the entrance closed to around 20 cm2 (no conventional mouse guard). But then with their level of insulation they can easily afford to do so (heat output estimated ~ 40 gms sucrose/day) .

I definitely feel happier with the bees under my care apparently able to control their environment.

:iagree:

In the experimental situation, The animal does what it D£$%^ well likes!

Given half a chance!

Don't feel to smug about it; your's, or your care, are nothing special. Bees have been doing exactly that for millions of years. If they didn't they were no longer part of the gene pool.

Don't feel to smug about it; your's, or your care, are nothing special. Bees have been doing exactly that for millions of years. If they didn't they were no longer part of the gene pool.

:iagree: I'm just building an artificial tree :)

Last edited:
why do communists only drink decaffinated tea ?

Because all propertea is theft !

realtree? - I thought we were talking insulation not camouflage!

Its a PIR foam hive with national internal dimensions, its basic thermal characteristics are a bit better than a but close to a 12" thick wood walled cavity. its thermally "an artificial tree" . However in such structures the entrance and floor play a big part in the thermal characteristics. Needs more work.

erm, I don't think so, Finman.

warmer, better insulated homes are prime breeding grounds for illnesses, cold, fresh air tends to kill many pathogens.

Today we got a frost record in Kuusamo. Temp was -39C.
We have in south only -25C when I went to swimming hall.

I have kept my comb store doors open. I bet that all wax moths are dead. Temp was -15C in the store.
There were about 20 birds eating the moths.

Last edited:
Hah...you can joke.
I went on a husky safari some years ago to North Sweden.
It was -40. One night after too much vodka some of us(not me,not me.....too much of a coward or not enough booze) ended up in the snow after our sauna.......bloody stupid thing to do really
Ahhhhh.......I remember it well:rolleyes:

in Austria jumped from heated outdoor pool +30c into hole in frozen pool alongside... then jumped back... sober.... I was much younger at the time... then grabbed a slab of ice ( ~300mm x 200mm) and with some help, put it down the back of swmbo's swimming costume... :)

Last edited:
Sauna + alcohol + cold water is deadly mixture. Heart has stopped with many man in that game.

Another way to die is sauna + alcohol + dive your head onto bottom and cut your neck.

Third is strong alcohol and begin to sleep in snow -20C.

sad, very sad..

Back