Insulation!!!!!!!!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beebreeder

Field Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Lots
I have been reading the usual winter threads on how much and what insulation colonies need for the winter with a slight smile. I have 12mm ply nucs with no insulation doing very well thankyou and mini nucs thriving, just need to top the food up regular. I was out today checking a site that is in the middle of a very busy shoot so it has not been checked since before christmas, one hive roof blown clean off and both feed holes open. The crownboard was soaking wet so I cracked it to see if there was any life, sure enough 7-8 seams of bees, not to welcoming but i gave them some fondant and put the roof back on. The roof is a lightweight cedar roof I have been given, it now has a brick on. Those bees have had six mm ply with two holes in it for who know how long to keep them warm. Insulation, don't think they need it, I have never seen a tree with kingspan over the top of the nest!

I have never seen a tree with kingspan over the top of the nest!

Nor one with a five eights thick walls.

Stowed-in-the-wolds and a bit lax on the checks can only make the bees suffer.

The shoot thing - there's always a few days settling time between if not don't leave them there - stress!

A bit lax on checks, how long have you had bees, stress, we have shoots all around us, that site has had bees on for just over 20 years and brings in the best honey crop of 5 apiaries and in excess of fifty colonies that have been all inspected by the rbi and declared healthy, no insulation.

If length and time mattered, you wouldn't neglect your bees.

As you are happy to brag about the money they're making for you, try giving them something back.

We're not talking healthy here, we're talking consideration and care.

Shoots, yeah, yeah, don't go over the same ground too soon - not good - poor care for the land and game - townies will , of course.

A bit lax on checks, how long have you had bees, stress, we have shoots all around us, that site has had bees on for just over 20 years and brings in the best honey crop of 5 apiaries and in excess of fifty colonies that have been all inspected by the rbi and declared healthy, no insulation.

oh boy. best honey crops comes from pastures. Not from hive construction.

Insulation saves winter food stores. i have here a long winter. I feed sugar on average 20 kg per hive, and bees survive from September to May with that food. I have used simple wooden boxes 10 years, and those hives spend food 50% more.

The best in insulation is that hives build up faster in Spring and are ready fo forage surpluss earlier.

It is true that bees have survived in nature millions of years, but i am sure that they do better if you pull an old wool shirt on the hive.

.human has lived thousands of years in houses without insulation. But nowadays humans are more healthier the warmer is the home. And insulation saves fuel and money.

The first energy crisis was 1975. It has been a long way to learn in Finland what is insulation. It is not easy issue. I have seen that UK has not learned much during that time but you fuel is really expencive. Nothing, which makes to smile....

"just need to top the food up regular"

would need to be less regular if insulated!!!!!

of course bees will do ok if left to their own devices BUT never thought they could do better? Bit like ignoring evidence of smoking causing cancer just because your grandfather died in an RTA at 100 after smoking for 40 a day for 90+ years.

Last edited:
I heat hives with electrict 2 months in Spring. When day temp is 17C, the hive starts to ventilate extra heat out. It tells that extra heat or insulation is wellcome to bees up to that level. Build up is faster with heating.

Just now I have here -20C and I need not heat hives. They manage without problems in insuulated hives. I need not feed bees during 7 months. I check the food stored after cleansing flights in March. If needed, I take extra food frames from another hives and give to light hives.
I do not normally give extra food in spring because insulated hives save stores so much.

Finman - have you considered using some of those cheap PID controllers to start tailing off the heat according to external temperature? would mean a bit less work for the bees.

Finman - have you considered using some of those cheap PID controllers to start tailing off the heat according to external temperature? would mean a bit less work for the bees.

yes I have and i have even bought them.

Last May the weather riseds to 25C and I was afraid that hives warm up too much.
But hives seemeed to have enough free space to swell out. Even ventilation was not abnormal.

The danger is generalising from the particular.

Good luck to you but luck has a nasty habit of biting one in the ar*e.

PH

I have been reading the usual winter threads on how much and what insulation colonies need for the winter with a slight smile. I have 12mm ply nucs with no insulation doing very well thankyou and mini nucs thriving, just need to top the food up regular. I was out today checking a site that is in the middle of a very busy shoot so it has not been checked since before christmas, one hive roof blown clean off and both feed holes open. The crownboard was soaking wet so I cracked it to see if there was any life, sure enough 7-8 seams of bees, not to welcoming but i gave them some fondant and put the roof back on. The roof is a lightweight cedar roof I have been given, it now has a brick on. Those bees have had six mm ply with two holes in it for who know how long to keep them warm. Insulation, don't think they need it, I have never seen a tree with kingspan over the top of the nest!

Posts regarding insulation are irrelevant if you live in Wiltshire..

Posts regarding insulation are relevant if you live in Finland or Scotland or on the moors of England..

.human has lived thousands of years in houses without insulation. But nowadays humans are more healthier the warmer is the home.

erm, I don't think so, Finman.

warmer, better insulated homes are prime breeding grounds for illnesses, cold, fresh air tends to kill many pathogens.

erm, I don't think so, Finman.

warmer, better insulated homes are prime breeding grounds for illnesses, cold, fresh air tends to kill many pathogens.

fresh air kill pathogens - that is very new to me.

Warm house is a breeding ground, better yes. Yankee bed! Yes.

And Rols Roys' bench is better crying place than Lada's bench.

May I ask why you use warm water bottles in bed? Incubating pathogens? Secret weapon?

You remember 4DD Lada - DRAFT FROM 4 DOORS.

Last edited:
erm do think so Finman and dont think so Tonybloke, look at comparitive death rates- yes real winters equals better rates of bugs (fewer colds etc) but kills more people in cold houses. winter cold kills- either by being too cold and removing the bug problem (apparently) but kills those that cant keep warm, or a mild winter allows more bugs and people catch all sorts of nasties...

erm do think so Finman and dont think so Tonybloke, look at comparitive death rates- yes real winters equals better rates of bugs (fewer colds etc) but kills more people in cold houses. winter cold kills- either by being too cold and removing the bug problem (apparently) but kills those that cant keep warm, or a mild winter allows more bugs and people catch all sorts of nasties...

god heavens!

How do you know when you do not even have winter. You have only 6 months Autumn. Then begins 6 months Summer.

god heavens!

How do you know when you do not even have winter. You have only 6 months Autumn. Then begins 6 months Summer.

Err no.. Acutally it's 6 months cold rain followed by 6 months warm rain and a dash of sunshine in between...

fresh air kill pathogens - that is very new to me.

May I ask why you use warm water bottles in bed? Incubating pathogens? Secret weapon?

i said COLD fresh air kills pathogens ( slight difference)

and I don't use hot water bottles in bed, thanks.
high TOG rated quilt, and a wife to cuddle up to works for me!! ;)

When your pathogens are dead, do you rise you room temperature.
Have you considered to clean better and carry carbage more often out?
They really start to ferment in warm....and food from table to freezener when supper is over.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back