Insulated hive ‘cosies’

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do224

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Inspired by some posts I read on this forum last year, I decided to make some insulated hive ‘cosies’ out of builders insulation board. I was a bit unsure exactly how to go about this and it took a bit of trial and error.

I made a a video showing how I did it…hopefully it will be useful for anyone thinking of insulating their wooden hives for the winter 🙂

Well done - Mine is similar in all respects to yours ... I added some polyurethane glue/sealant to the joints as well as the bamboo skewers. Painting was not a problem - a couple of coats of Garden Shades did the job ... even on the aluminium foil. Mine was turned upside down (I decided poly hives were the way to go) and with a sheet of greenhouse glass has served for 10 years (stored outside all the time) as my solar wax melter ! In it's 10th year it has finally fallen apart but it was using it with a wallpaper stripper as a steam wax melter that caused it to start and deteriorate, otherwise it would still be serviceable.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125609724@N03/albums/72157655336719145

Well done - Mine is similar in all respects to yours ... I added some polyurethane glue/sealant to the joints as well as the bamboo skewers. Painting was not a problem - a couple of coats of Garden Shades did the job ... even on the aluminium foil. Mine was turned upside down (I decided poly hives were the way to go) and with a sheet of greenhouse glass has served for 10 years (stored outside all the time) as my solar wax melter ! In it's 10th year it has finally fallen apart but it was using it with a wallpaper stripper as a steam wax melter that caused it to start and deteriorate, otherwise it would still be serviceable.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125609724@N03/albums/72157655336719145
Thanks Philip, I might have a go at making a wax melter like yours!

Thanks Philip, I might have a go at making a wax melter like yours!
The only things I will do differently for my new wax melter is I will build it on a timber base and I'll put a frame round the greenhouse glass. You've already got all the necessary skills ... afternoon's work to make one ! Plenty of time before you will need one ....

Inspired by some posts I read on this forum last year, I decided to make some insulated hive ‘cosies’ out of builders insulation board. I was a bit unsure exactly how to go about this and it took a bit of trial and error.

I made a a video showing how I did it…hopefully it will be useful for anyone thinking of insulating their wooden hives for the winter 🙂

That's a good job. Mine are really battered after ten years use and there is water ingress so I need new ones.
Let us know what paint you use because I've had to repaint mine every year.

My partner and I did insulation sheets the first year but had trouble keeping it all together (and the insulation can break down a little). We like the Bee Cozy for our hives. I get them in Canada as they are cheaper - either bring them back when I visit or have family bring them when they visit me, but you can get them here. They seem to really like the warmth. I know insulating bees is a bit controversial, but they seem to be stronger in the spring as they didn't have to work so hard to keep warm.

Let us know what paint you use because I've had to repaint mine every year.
The metallic tape is awful for getting paint to take to it…

BC69CEC3-A673-4C02-ABC1-0C09CCC2049C.jpeg

After a few attempts with different so called primers giving the result above…I finally found one that worked

B5BCCBF6-E47C-4180-89A7-E202E1610126.jpegA775F700-0834-4ADA-9210-6514BFD4F7EE.jpeg

Should take a green top coat ok now 🤞

Brill.
I ended up with about five coats of Cuprinol garden shades
Yes .. that's what I used ... the paint was still in good condition when I took the remains of my solar wax melter to the tip yesterday when it finally fell apart ... 10 years ... stood outside. Can't complain.

From Aug 2013 Grab glue and bbq skewers sealed inside and out with ally tape. Used a table saw. 5 mm gap all round
3068-b029067bd95f0aa9b876448f7662b0ff.jpg

3069-d0644b9f5b381c8361d993555908b407.jpg
8238-3067.jpg

Latest posts

Back