Cheap insulation in S Wales to make hive cosies

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 national
I've been looking around for some polyurethane sheets to make cosies for my hives. I have found a supplier in Caerphilly that supplies "seconds" at a very reasonable price. I bought 1200mm x 450mm x 50mm for £13 a sheet.. They stock a good range of sizes.. Insulation South Wales.. I have no connection with the company.

I've been looking around for some polyurethane sheets to make cosies for my hives. I have found a supplier in Caerphilly that supplies "seconds" at a very reasonable price. I bought 1200mm x 450mm x 50mm for £13 a sheet.. They stock a good range of sizes.. Insulation South Wales.. I have no connection with the company.
1200 x 450 x 50 £10, off the shelf from Wickes.

Last edited:
It's worth 3 quid more not to have to endure Wickes staff attitude
I can sympathise but when I go to wickes I just get what a want and pay for it. Minimal interaction!
My costs to get to Wales might increase the cost difference!!!!!!!! 🤣

Our local branch has some superstars.
That is until they get their Long Service Award three weeks into their career and then adopt the surly flounce the same as the rest.
I find myself apologising for setting foot in there .
Even Toolstation had enough and moved out.

50/55MM 1.2X2.4M FOIL FACED SHEETS £22

https://www.secondsandco.co.uk/product-page/50-55mm-1-2x2-4m-foil-faced-sheets
and lots of other
thicknesses

PIR polyisocyanurate rather than polyurethane
They used to have the occasional yard sale at Prestigne but it was like feeding time at the lion enclosure coinciding with a zombie apocalypse.
I had a lorry load of their regular stock seconds delivered after that horrific experience.
Much more civilised and excellent quality/price ratio.
Worth planning some future jobs and ordering a big batch in.
I tend to opportunisticly source mine from those open topped yellow cars though these days.

Back