First hive advice!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superneutrino

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
I'm currently trying to get my first hive sorted and would rather start on some solid footing than ditch bits and buy more later (I know this may be some short-lived dream!) I'm also on a bit of a budget but still want to start decently.

I've done a load of reading and looking about at bits and I think I am set on Poly broods and am probably looking at the 11-frame Abelo national to maintain better overall compatibility with Standard national stuff with the deep roof to avoid the potential leak issues

My questions i suppose mainly come down to the floor, crown board and maybe the roof.
  1. The floor isn't considered to be great on the gen 1 and 2 Abelos... what would the best alternative be?
  2. I feel like either a wooden 'multipurpose' crown board or the Poly Ashforth feeder are good options instead of a standard crown board
  3. is the deep roof still a good option?
Any other advice is greatly taken on board (im aware many will have varying ones and preferences!)

I run my Abelo 11 frames with a deep roof and a home made under floor entrance solid or mesh floor. Works well for me.
Crownboard is a polycarbonate see through one with a central feeder hole. I use a 2 litre rapid feeder housed in a super if I need to feed.

11-frame Abelo national
Good choice.

Poly Ashforth feeder ... instead of a standard crown board
Good choice.

https://www.abelo.co.uk/shop/nation...tional/national-poly-ashforth-hive-blue-grey/Yes, Abelo deep roof is a good choice.

floor isn't considered to be great on the gen 1 and 2 Abelos... what would the best alternative be?
Make your own:

https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/threa...-on-the-dartington-underfloor-entrance.46001/

I'm currently trying to get my first hive sorted and would rather start on some solid footing than ditch bits and buy more later (I know this may be some short-lived dream!) I'm also on a bit of a budget but still want to start decently.

I've done a load of reading and looking about at bits and I think I am set on Poly broods and am probably looking at the 11-frame Abelo national to maintain better overall compatibility with Standard national stuff with the deep roof to avoid the potential leak issues

My questions i suppose mainly come down to the floor, crown board and maybe the roof.
  1. The floor isn't considered to be great on the gen 1 and 2 Abelos... what would the best alternative be?
  2. I feel like either a wooden 'multipurpose' crown board or the Poly Ashforth feeder are good options instead of a standard crown board
  3. is the deep roof still a good option?
Any other advice is greatly taken on board (im aware many will have varying ones and preferences!)
I don't find a problem with the mark 1 floor. It was superseded with the mark 2 because of the projection of the landing board taking up stacking room if being transported in a trailer which isn't of any consequence to me. Similar to Dani, I use 11 frame mark 1 boxes with deep poly roof and home made see-through polycarbonate crown boards.

I see you are in my County. Have you had any hands on experience? Good idea to test the water before spending money. Spend as much as you can on a good suit. Where are you in Somerset?

I see you are in my County. Have you had any hands on experience? Good idea to test the water before spending money. Spend as much as you can on a good suit. Where are you in Somerset?
Yea ive been able to get into the beea a few times, picked up a STB pro suit as i thought that probably gives be decent bang for buck and from the little experience i have, im pretty happy with it!

Im up in north somerset. Currently trying to sus out a hive location but want to be preped to get a hive ready to go when i do.

I run my Abelo 11 frames with a deep roof and a home made under floor entrance solid or mesh floor. Works well for me.
Crownboard is a polycarbonate see through one with a central feeder hole. I use a 2 litre rapid feeder housed in a super if I need to feed.
Sounds great, im more than handy enough to produce a a floor and CB from plans, i like the idea of the polycarb board to see!
I don't find a problem with the mark 1 floor. It was superseded with the mark 2 because of the projection of the landing board taking up stacking room if being transported in a trailer which isn't of any consequence to me. Similar to Dani, I use 11 frame mark 1 boxes with deep poly roof and home made see-through polycarbonate crown boards.
Thanks for this! Do you rebate the polycarbonate in place or do you just screw it onto the frame?

Just spent most of the weekend making up another batch so that I can swap out the oldest ones I have for repair/scrapping. I actually stumbled across the first 'prototype' I made many moons ago - still in pretty good nick considering it's just been mouldering behind the shed where I dumped it a few years ago.
I actually found a photo of it in action taken over the Christmas break when it was so warm, the daffodils were blooming and SWMBO shouted at me to go outside as she thought the bees were swarming!january 01.jpgjanuary 04.jpg

Attachments

• january 05.jpg
    january 05.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 1
And a few times as he goes through ...
been a few years since I watched it and was probably using the same technique I used to employ at work when confronted with a stack of contraband from an Amsterdam flight and the need to complete viewing reports (called bingo sheets at work) before filing our reports.

Latest posts

Back