Inspection board in or out over winter?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

King Scavenger

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi my friends, again!!
Do I take out the inspection board out, for the winter? I have seen various ideas about leaving it in and taking it out:ohthedrama:

Now you're asking, and you will get 1/3 IN, 1/3 OUT and 1/3 Don't Know

I am in the " IN "brigade, given the windy island we reside on I think to leave out and have the bees subjected to howling winds through the hive is not conducive to happy overwintering bees !

Put them in, take them out, clean them, put them in, take them out, clean them. put them .... well, you get the idea !

It can tell you a lot about what your bees are up to in winter .. the debris will tell you where in the hive they are and you can see where they are uncapping stores .. but you do need to clean them off as otherwise the debris will accumulate. I also like to see a fairly big drop between the mesh floor and the inspection board (50mm at least) which also means that you need some sort of tray or skirt under the hive. So ... mine allow some protected ventilation beneath the hive but shelter from draughts.

Put them in, take them out, clean them, put them in, take them out, clean them. put them .... well, you get the idea !

It can tell you a lot about what your bees are up to in winter .. the debris will tell you where in the hive they are and you can see where they are uncapping stores .. but you do need to clean them off as otherwise the debris will accumulate. I also like to see a fairly big drop between the mesh floor and the inspection board (50mm at least) which also means that you need some sort of tray or skirt under the hive. So ... mine allow some protected ventilation beneath the hive but shelter from draughts.

The subject was extensively debated in the thread How do you Overwinter Your Bees - Beekeeping Forum search function.

www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=35280

The bees will probably survive whatever you do. But, there are inspection boards, like the yellow ones that come with the trhrones floors that are pretty flimsy and can get blown out. Or there are the thick Corex Pains ones that are a snug fit. The best of all are those old wooden solid floors....you don't need to clean them at frequent intervals.

if you leave them in remember to seal up the back where the board is inserted, otherwise the board can increase the draft if the wind is in the wrong direction.

Latest posts

Back