Independent BKAs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.bedfordshirebeekeepers.org.uk/history/bbka-since-1922

Also in 1986 Bedfordshire BKA made a vow to sever it's affiliation to the BBKA for it was felt we were not getting value from them for the subscription they demanded, we had visits from the current President Dr. Harry Riches and the Secretary Kingsley Law of the BBKA, but they both failed to convince us. A ballot was held and all members were sent a ballot paper and a stamped addressed envelope, about three quarters of the membership responded and the result was clear two to one in favour of breaking our ties with the BBKA and this became a milestone in our history.

And West Glamorgan beekeepers associations in independent from the BBKA, I would love to put a www. for it but it's under construction

BIBBA ( although I liked their old Village beekeeps name!)

I understand the historical roots, but, if BIBBA truely represented the British Isles Bee Breeders the way that BeeBreed is open to all bee breeders, it would be much more inclusive.

I understand the historical roots, but, if BIBBA truely represented the British Isles Bee Breeders the way that BeeBreed is open to all bee breeders, it would be much more inclusive.

I thought BIBBA was "Bee Improvement and Bee Breeders Association" rather than British Isles Bee Breeders. Its membership does extend across the whole of the UK and Ireland.

I thought BIBBA was "Bee Improvement and Bee Breeders Association" rather than British Isles Bee Breeders. Its membership does extend across the whole of the UK and Ireland.

Thank you for correcting my mistake. I believe that I quoted one of the earlier incarnations. All the more reason for it to be more inclusive then!

http://www.bedfordshirebeekeepers.org.uk/history/bbka-since-1922

Also in 1986 Bedfordshire BKA made a vow to sever it's affiliation to the BBKA for it was felt we were not getting value from them for the subscription they demanded, we had visits from the current President Dr. Harry Riches and the Secretary Kingsley Law of the BBKA, but they both failed to convince us. A ballot was held and all members were sent a ballot paper and a stamped addressed envelope, about three quarters of the membership responded and the result was clear two to one in favour of breaking our ties with the BBKA and this became a milestone in our history.

Just thinking over a few things. Which insurer provides the cover and what is the cost per head for members? As another option do you know of any insurers that provide cover for single beekeepers?
Another consideration might be the effect on interaction between local associations. Have you noticed a reluctance between BBKA affiliates to provide judges, speakers, join in events etc with non-affiliated? I'm wondering how much of the thinking "because we've always done it this way" keeps the status quo.

Latest posts

Back