Importation of bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have to realise, that in the main, the people who shop at Thornes are not happy unless they're paying top dollar for everything.
We always see them at the Teifiside bee and equipment auctions, wandering around all the sad and decrepid unwanted kit for sale, Thornes catalogue clutched in hand - they compare the item to the same top quality new item on the catalogue then think they have got a bargain if they manage to outbid everyone to buy a knackered old roof only fit for smoker fuel for a fiver less than the catalogue price.

Same characters do the same here and are often witnessed paying MORE than list for smoker fuel

Same characters do the same here and are often witnessed paying MORE than list for smoker fuel
I always used to buy a few of the Spring sales cheapo stainless steel smokers, take them to the auctions and sell them for double, if not three times the price!!
A former forumite, as a beginner bought himself a galvanised extractor, but after joining here, saw his error and took it to the Pembrokeshire auction to get rid - he got over a hundred quid for it!!

We had a Chinese fella pay a kings ransom for a well lived honey for sale sign one year and when I checked, he'd paid about 50% more than the same thing new from Thornes. He went on to buy most of the crap and I thought some were so annoyed they were running him up.

The single item that most annoys me in Thorne's rip-off catalogue is the Posca queen marker pen at £5.20 each. You can usually find them on ebay around £1.20 each for a box of 12. Buy a box and sell the rest to your local association. Office stationery suppliers are another good source.

When you've finished with a colour, pull the fibre nib out and rinse it thoroughly under the cold tap. You can store the pen and nib ready for the next colour cycle. Some of my pens must be 10 years old and still work perfectly.

The single item that most annoys me in Thorne's rip-off catalogue is the Posca queen marker pen at £5.20 each. You can usually find them on ebay around £1.20 each for a box of 12. Buy a box and sell the rest to your local association. Office stationery suppliers are another good source.

When you've finished with a colour, pull the fibre nib out and rinse it thoroughly under the cold tap. You can store the pen and nib ready for the next colour cycle. Some of my pens must be 10 years old and still work perfectly.
OMG !!! :leaving:
Cheapskate!

Dear god once you washed them out what do you refill them with.

To be fair Thorne is a good place for beginners to start. Everything is in one place. No poly though
It was great for me starting (didn’t buy the boxes from there though). I grew up in Windsor and never realised it was there until someone at my BKA told me. Pre-Covid I almost always used to pop in for a look around when I went to see my parents.

I’m looking to buy a good few sheets of foundation so wanted to check prices. I’ve just checked thornes site and saw SECTION SALE. Being a lover of all things comb honey and sections in particular I went to check. There’s a massive £3 off a section rack........😂

By the way if any see some good priced racks or Ross rounds or even hanging section frames pls drop me a mail.

Be great if sections became popular again . I collect section tureens so would welcome potteries producing them again.

Attachments

• Purple Glass Section tureen.jpg
    Purple Glass Section tureen.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Royal Winton Section Tureen.jpg
    Royal Winton Section Tureen.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Section tureen brown.jpg
    Section tureen brown.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Section tureen Minton.JPG
    Section tureen Minton.JPG
    440.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Section Tureen Royal Devon.jpg
    Section Tureen Royal Devon.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Section Tureen Taylors.jpg
    Section Tureen Taylors.jpg
    300.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Section tureen with drip tray.jpg
    Section tureen with drip tray.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 13
Sections are something I'd like to try. I believe you need a really strong flow on to get them drawn properly?
Yes that’s the best but for that just read your main summer flow. Those hanging section frames are a good cheat, but expensive particularly if your only after a few. I like the Ross rounds and the fact you can juggle the frames to get the outer drawn as well.

Yes that’s the best but for that just read your main summer flow. Those hanging section frames are a good cheat, but expensive particularly if your only after a few. I like the Ross rounds and the fact you can juggle the frames to get the outer drawn as well.

Your locality is blessed if you are able to do Ross Rounds commercially. My back of the envelope calculations put the cost price of the rings, lid and label alone close to what I think a retailer would pay me before the value of the honey is factored in.

Last year it was Abelo that lost overwintered nucs to theft at about this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back