I'm Not Complaining.... but...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 National Hives & 1 Observation Hive.(Indoors) & lots of empty boxes..
Neighbour says..... not complaining but your bees are crapping on my car..

Dilemma.........

If he is not complaining is he therefore making a statement about not complaining or a statement about what the bees are doing?

Does a statement require an answer?..

and as he's not complaining I am at a loss as to how to deal with something that hasnt been complained about....

Maybe he's just short on conversation! Maybe he's just stating a fact lol, some people like to do that. If he's not complaining then it's not a problem. Our bees fly up and over another plot, I wonder if they crap on the allotment holder? I hope not! Lol

Well, not a lot you can do about that, assuming you can't re-locate the hives to another part of your garden to alter the flight path of your bees.

all i would say is that once the nice weather is here, they wont be doing that, and the car is under the flight path which you cant really change, and add a sorry and a jar of honey

all i would say is that once the nice weather is here, they wont be doing that, and the car is under the flight path which you cant really change, and add a sorry and a jar of honey

They werent a problem last year when there was more greenery about and the went over the fence at the end away from his car, and he agrees that last summer there was no problem.....
I gave them a tin of chocolate before Christmas after the snow had cleared and they noticed the mess on their cars then..... They said "oh there's no need for that" didnt give the bloody chocolates back tho...

He says he cleaned it on Saturday and now he has to clean it again.....

so??...I cleaned mine on Thursday and it was covered in dust on Saturday.

He's always cleaning the thing anyway... electric polisher... cleaning the tyres.. pressure washer under the wheel arches.......

I did say that I had thought of putting some kind of fencing up to divert them when they leave the hive....... then asked him to help me.......

so... I've made my offer...... cant say I wasnt sympathetic......

Tell him in many countries it is considered lucky!! a bit of positive thinking can go a long way!

Promise him a jar of honey and also promise him that you aren't planning to keep homing pigeons or seagulls in the near future either, he might realise how lucky is is then!

and how does he know they are your bees ? At least 3 beekeepers within 2 miles from me, and my washing got a dose of the yellow stuff last weekend. Sh1t happens !

I wouldn't give him much at all, except short shrift....what about bee poo when he drives along.

he's got too much time on his hands

S

His car is nose up to the wall which the bees are the other side of..

If I had double gates put in for vehicle access to my back garden he wouldnt be able to park there anyway....

I told him that bee poo has a high wax content but he wasnt impressed..:willy_nilly:

it sounds like this guy is a little precious about his car. I agree with somerford how he can he prove that is not some one elses bees. By offerring chocolates etc. ( which is very kind) you are kind of admitting that it is your bees doing it and this might cause you problems down the line if he starts to become less amicable. I think that he is that worried about his car then he needs to invest in a cover for it! At the end of the day sods law dictates that something somewhere will poop on your nicely washed car (this happened to me last week btw) or some tree will secrete sticky liquid on it.

Better than the oil from low flying aircraft on a line of washing - I used to suffer that when living in the Avon valley and the RAF used to use the valley to practise their low flying techniques.
I think there is a balance here and it might be best to make a gesture of some sort rather than sacrifice a good relationship with neighbours.

How best to make that gesture I am not sure. Using an anecdote like the one above to put in perspective might help. (Perhaps there is a noisy neighbour that annoys you all and compared with that this is a small problem?) Suggesting you will try and do something to minimise the problem if indeed there could be something that would help might be good.

Failing that, assuming it only happens once in a blue moon, ask would he prefer for you to pay for a local car wash or have some of your honey.

Having good neighbours is such a boon. At a very bad time in my life, with car off teh road, I had a neighbour who came and told me she didn't use her car on a monday - would I like to? Still so grateful. Another neighbour whose house and dogs I was keeping an eye on when my heating failed just said 'well move in for a couple of days' - I didn't but when things are bad just having people willing to offer is like a pot of gold!

tricia

Effectively you have been informed that this person who (precious or not) is very fond of his vehicle is unhappy about the spotting.

Quite a few are over keen on cars to wit the gent yesterday who parked his elderly but gleaming land rover, then got out and polished it up in case it had got grubby on the journey presumably.

I would tread gently as you may be looking at a hive move.

"My farmer" has told me that the bees are working some feed, some sort of high protein feed that he uses and causing him "a bit of a nuisance"... the bees are going tomorrow, as good relations are more important than a few hives.

PH

Perhaps I'll park my campervan where he parks his car...

or plant a tree that will
secrete sticky liquid on it

Last edited:
The guy is complaining and I would do something about the problem before it does become a real issue.
If you really can’t move the hives maybe suggest that you go half’s on a cover for his precious car I think they cost about £30, so for £15 you will have a friend for life and be able to keep your bees with no problems from him.

Cheers
S

Personally I cant see that he has any greivance that he can use as a complaint to any official body but no doubt the situation would be exagerated to "swarms of bees coming into the house and afraid to go outside".

He was laughing last year because somebody around the corner threw a wobbly when six bees went onto a tree in his garden...

Put your self in his shoes if he had a cat/dog and it kept making a mess on your garden wouldnt you complain?.
You should try to work something out or as said before they may well complain of swarms/stings and so on. Neighbour problems can escalate to very ugly sometimes costly things.

Back