Illuminated magnifiers buy or no buy?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
50+
As my eyes are not what they used to be and I struggled seeing what I was trying to graft last year, I have thought of getting an illuminated magnifier.
1. Whould you use one or are they not worth bothering with?
2. Which ones would people recommend?
3. As I have a limited budget and am a tight arxx where is the cheapest place to buy?

Many thanks
S

I have the same issues, and as I like to graft 12 hour old larvae that makes it even more awkward.

I went to a supermarket and bought strong reading glasses and they worked quite well for £5 or so.

PH

No buy, if using in ambient light makes no diff. Still used it minus batteries then it broke so bought a trad compact x6 one made by Helix in a local stationers. Better

If at times you would need three hands, I would suggest a jeweller's loupe might be a good alternative.

The illumination doesn't make much difference in daylight.

Having played with "bi-plane bifocals" (half moon reading glasses on top of spectacles) - better for electronic soldering than inside a veil, and a cheap plastic fresnel (flat) magnifier (super compact but hard to keep clean)... I may give in and just get a Sherlock/Granny-style magnifying glass for my toolbox or top pocket.

If at times you would need three hands, I would suggest a jeweller's loupe might be a good alternative.

Thanks for suggestions, I never thought of a jeweller's loupe which I have for plant I.D. will give it a go but may also 'splash' out a fiver on the Eflea suggestion from Mr B and give it a go.
Cheers
S

I have been looking at those head bands also.Just cant make my mind up.

For grafting I use an LED head torch and super-strong 2.5 diopter reading glasses (I need weaker for general use). I worked out the strength I needed trying them in a high street store, but bought them online as they were so much less expensive (<£4). If you get a head torch with white and red LED's you can use the red light when adding ripe queen cells to mini nucs in the dark - bees cannot see red light.

Ever Ready do one of the head torches for £8-10.

For general inspections I just rely on good ambient light and a cheap magnifying glass when needed.

Eoghan Mac Giolla Coda spoke to my local association last week and showed us an illuminated magnifier that he uses/has used. I think it was made by Rolson and is head mounted with about 4 interchangeable lenses and can be used lightson or off. Like most folk he grafts away from the hives so being head mounted he can take off his veil to use it.
If my father decides to try out grafting alongside me I may buy one of these for him.

Latest posts

Back