Where did i go wrong?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They were quite dry even though I was giving syrup in a frame feeder
I think Michael means when you grafted, some of the very smallest larvae are on little brood food. I’ll pick slightly larger in their own little puddle. I think if you don’t get the puddle when you graft and transfer they’ll dry out.

Ah thanks both. I had been wondering. With my new optics I was keen to get the smallest larvae. I will remember for next summer and also make the colony stronger.

Ah thanks both. I had been wondering. With my new optics I was keen to get the smallest larvae. I will remember for next summer and also make the colony stronger.
I think some is to do with process and putting odds in your favour. I’ll do my queen rearing in single brood boxes packed with sealed brood, so break down a dbl brood hive or add from others. You want all seams packed with bees or as good as you can get. With a packed box you’ll need to go through a couple of times shaking bees off frames to find q-cells don’t do it before grafting! Don’t worry about food just ensure there’s some pollen in frames and feed syrup. I’ll get 2 rounds of cells from a good box, the second on average gets better acceptance as they have none of their own larvae of age. A cell bar is placed into centre of box 6-24 hrs before grafting, don’t leave wax cups in any longer as many are chewed right down. This is to acclimatise cells it may not be needed but I think helps to a degree, it is practised by some larger better q rearers.
On day of grafting I remove the cell bar and replace crown board leaving the space in centre of box, I’ll then go and collect a frame of larvae from the breeder queen and graft. Returning to your cell raiser with grafts gently crack crown board but twist before lifting. You should find the gap rammed with bees. Slide your frame gently and slowly in, you’ve just ensured maximum bees immediately around your grafts.

Last edited:
Back