Idea for new subforum

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it is a good idea.
Please be aware that most hobby beeks are territorial.

I think ( not often!) that anyone looking for a suitable "out apiary" would get a better result by putting a "WANTED" ad on their local "Freecycle" net page........
like to see what response you get.....
I put out a call for old hives for a community orchard project and was inundated with requests to come and put bees in "their" orchards ( one on a huge flower market gardeners yet to be investigated!).... no old hives tho !

It's a great idea IMO.
Obviously the beekeeper would contact landowner/visit site and decide for themselves but getting information about a site within their location has to be of benefit.

As for commercial operators, they offer such a wealth of knowledge and it's refreshing to know these people would pass on details of sites that are too small for themselves; supporting hobbyists.

Great idea

I think ( not often!) that anyone looking for a suitable "out apiary" would get a better result by putting a "WANTED" ad on their local "Freecycle" net page........

I tried that and my freegle wouldn't allow it saying that nothing was avoiding the tip

Great idea

I tried that and my freegle wouldn't allow it saying that nothing was avoiding the tip

If I do not find an out apiary my Hives AND bees will be going to the tip!

Try that...
probably find your local Freecycle is run by a stereotypical tree-hugging veggie eco - warrior wearing nothing but open toed sandals and a thong, sucking on a reefer and bemoaning the fact that Bankers and Estate agents have ruined the planet!:willy_nilly:

At the risk of being the bucket of cold water the only site I am interested in is one I have researched myself.

What do I look for?

Security.

Water.

Forage, lots of and preferably successions of for the season, or at least to heather time.

Easy to find? Err not really.

PH

Surely a good Idea, at least sites are advertised. Then up to the person to inspect and accept/reject.The main thing is sites are made available.:)

our local BKA magazine sometimes has contact details of folk who have offered apiary sites.
this info is available to beekeepers who are members.
not sure if said info would be good on an open forum, though?

It's a great idea IMO.
Obviously the beekeeper would contact landowner/visit site and decide for themselves but getting information about a site within their location has to be of benefit.

As for commercial operators, they offer such a wealth of knowledge and it's refreshing to know these people would pass on details of sites that are too small for themselves; supporting hobbyists.

I pass on this sort of info all the time to my local bee keepers association. I'm offered sites that I can't drive to in people's large gardens etc, one was up such a steep bank it made my old legs tired just looking at it!

Hi

I have just been browsing the equipment for sale/wanted forum and it crossed my mind that an Apiary site offered/wanted forum could be useful.This could range from a garden site for 1 hive to a full size apiary for 20+ hives.

P.S Anyone know any good apiary sites for 2-3 hives in the west Manchester area? :)

The Guildford BKA has a list of people who offer their large gardens/fields. There is far greater supply than take up it seems./

Re the PS - Carrington Road woudl be a greta site

I would personally research the site myself , this is better for me and better for my bees as I can assess everything in my criteria, eg good forage, safety etc, QUOTE]

Quite agree to researching the site, but at least this idea would save on you searching for a site - then you can do as much reconnaisance as you want.
Cant see much apart good in this idea

Sounds like a good idea to me.

probably find your local Freecycle is run by a stereotypical tree-hugging veggie eco - warrior wearing nothing but open toed sandals and a thong, sucking on a reefer and bemoaning the fact that Bankers and Estate agents have ruined the planet!:willy_nilly:

Yep !!!!

Latest posts

Back