Idea for large scale varroa reduction...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhyolite

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
If every swarm that is caught is treated for mites. Every split is treated, and every hive given new undrawn frames and treated...

Would this in theory (almost) eliminate varroa mites if done on a full scale joint effort?

There should be a period of time with no brood while the bees are drawing fresh comb and a possibility of a high success rate.

the dreaded 'shook swarm' on a worldwide scale? why are people so eager to abuse their bees?
And how are you going to fettle the leaveitaloners and the anti vaxers treaters? let alone all the feral colonies out there the majority of which are riddled with varroa

[QUOTE="Rhyolite, post: 827023,

Would this in theory (almost) eliminate varroa mites if done on a full scale joint effort?
[/QUOTE]

No…….

If every swarm that is caught is treated for mites. Every split is treated, and every hive given new undrawn frames and treated...

There should be a period of time with no brood while the bees are drawing fresh comb and a possibility of a high success rate.
No.

No there are feral/wild colonies which would act as a reservoir for reinfection.

In addition JBM is right, there are too many who refuse to treat that would undo it.

Something similar was done for eradicating the Warble fly in cattle historically (treatment of hosts nationally at around the same time) though so the concept is relatively sound even if the application isn't feasible in this instance.

All the objections raised above, plus one other.

Varroa populations in a hive double (roughly) every month or so. All it would take would be for a few colonies to be untreated (or a few mites to survive the treatment) and it would be all over the UK again in a couple of years. From it's first identification in the UK in 1992 I don't think it took very long to be virtually everywhere.

In this case, can I ask a novice question, I am just about to take custody of a freshly captured swarm, they will be going into a new hive but there will be a couple of drawn frames in there too.

Should I treat for varroa at the outset, or await evidence from the V. Floor?

a broodless colony is the ideal opportunity to treat them for varroa, regardless of the size of the infestation.
OA trickle them straight away or vape after a few days but before any brood is sealed

a broodless colony is the ideal opportunity to treat them for varroa, regardless of the size of the infestation.
OA trickle them straight away or vape after a few days but before any brood is sealed
Thanks for the swift reply, any recommendations on the best to apply?

Latest posts

Back