I am in print again!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've only had a very quick flick through and not read any of the articles in full. I notice there's an IPM calendar that I've never felt very happy about as part of a longer article on "The Beekeeping Calendar", but also a piece on transmission of pathogens from managed to feral pollinators and one about types of frames that seems as though it would be a surefire way to start an argument.

And there's a letter from someone who claims to be in the legal profession who appears to be saying that it's fine to describe a product as "raw honey", which again seems a surefire way to start an argument.

I'll probably give it a closer look over when I get back from coaching this evening and can have a glass of wine or two to keep the blood pressure under control...

James
My wife was gifted a jar of honey recently, from an on line health foods company.
It shouts out “organic and raw”
In the blurb it boasts a “low pollen count” - for those that don’t want pollen, but also that it includes pollen - for those that do.
Apparently it’s very nice, but I won’t try it out of spite.
F1EAF9D3-3D3C-4EAD-9510-104FA7EF0F7D.jpeg
B60175D7-E8A5-4FB6-AA0C-B23FD89FFCDD.jpeg

My wife was gifted a jar of honey recently, from an on line health foods company.
In the blurb it boasts a “low pollen count” - for those that don’t want pollen, but also that it includes pollen - for those that do.
View attachment 34745
View attachment 34746

Try it and you might find something to spite. For instance, I have always been impressed by Greek honey , but now that we have our own production line I genuinely prefer our honey and find the authentic stuff, purchased in Greece, too syrupy and lacking in flavour.

Having read it through now I think Enrico's piece is probably the high point. There's some shockingly awful stuff in the rest of it :(

James
I must say it only took me a few minutes to pick out stuff I thought interesting.
The letter about the use of Raw was interesting and I’m surprised BMH didn’t challenge Trading Standards on its use, but I suppose legal expenses could escalate rapidly!

View attachment 34745
View attachment 34746
Actually that will be False Acacia (Black Locust) as true Acacias are not winter hardy and are not generally found outside of mediterranean and tropical climates. It's a non-native species in Bulgaria and was introduced for timber growing purposes and they are now trying to stop its spread as an invasive species - fantastic forage for honeybees apparently . I was gven a jar of acacia honey to try and it is a lovely light and quite fragrant honey - very different to my urban honey - you should sneak a spoonful to taste but don't tell anyone.

Actually that will be False Acacia (Black Locust) as true Acacias are not winter hardy and are not generally found outside of mediterranean and tropical climates. It's a non-native species in Bulgaria and was introduced for timber growing purposes and they are now trying to stop its spread as an invasive species - fantastic forage for honeybees apparently . I was gven a jar of acacia honey to try and it is a lovely light and quite fragrant honey - very different to my urban honey - you should sneak a spoonful to taste but don't tell anyone.
Plenty of it popping up around us, I’ve seen the bees working it but it appears delicate to our changeable weather and not sure it’s normally warm enough for a decent flow. It normally flowers end of May early June.
https://www.plantlife.org.uk/uk/discover-wild-plants-nature/plant-fungi-species/false-acacia

The letter about the use of Raw was interesting and I’m surprised BMH didn’t challenge Trading Standards on its use, but I suppose legal expenses could escalate rapidly!

I felt that letter was too vague to be useful. For a start it talks about the word "raw" appearing "on the label" rather than "in the product name". My reading of the honey regs is that it is very specific about what may be used as a product name in that it says one of a set of options must be used, with some optional qualifiers such as the location, the nectar source and "specific quality criteria" for which I couldn't find a definitive list, but the ones I could find didn't include the word "raw". So to me at the moment it looks like using "Raw Honey" as the product name would not be acceptable, though using the word "raw" elsewhere on the label may be.

James

Ah ! That solicitors letter! That was me using my pen name! You know my standing on raw honey!

No, just teasing! 😱

Happy Christmas all xxxxx

I felt that letter was too vague to be useful. For a start it talks about the word "raw" appearing "on the label" rather than "in the product name". My reading of the honey regs is that it is very specific about what may be used as a product name in that it says one of a set of options must be used, with some optional qualifiers such as the location, the nectar source and "specific quality criteria" for which I couldn't find a definitive list, but the ones I could find didn't include the word "raw". So to me at the moment it looks like using "Raw Honey" as the product name would not be acceptable, though using the word "raw" elsewhere on the label may be.

James
I agree that it was vague but that's British Law for you. Most has to be challenged through a court to get a definite answer and set a precedent. Which amazingly makes a fortune for the legal system!

Latest posts

Back