I’m on my way!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those two sources can take a beginner down a fast road to Hell as easily as any (your location tells me that that you have already arrived :) ) and there is no single source of advice, delivered with night-nurse tenderness, that will do the job. Far more useful to take all advice on board, ignore the casual denigration, distil all you hear and carve your own methods.

It's up to us to decode your style and some do not have the patience to do so, but if we were in a pub conversation other cues would help, and what comes across as casual online derision would be read differently. We're not in a pub, so plain speaking and careful use of words (by all of us) works best.

Good, so stick around.
I don’t understand the Hell reference, sorry. Is it some sort of beekeepery in-joke?

I don’t expect “night nurse tenderness”. Just plain old courtesy is fine.

I realise we’re not in a pub. I am not stupid.

Lurk, learning from the advice given to others, until you've also learnt the ways of our members. I realised long ago that those with the sharpest tongues are often those whose advice can be the best. Unfortunately one or two of them frequently snipe rather than explain.
See, if we were in a film, we could work a whole plot line around that “He/she is a bit abrasive and calls a spade a spade but you’ll learn a lot from him, he’s the salt of the earth really” trope.

However in real life I generally find that the ones with the sharpest tongues, who don’t hold back on being rude to newcomers and in fact seem to derive great satisfaction from being able to sneer at people who know less than they do, just tend to be ar$eh0les.

Not aimed at anyone here in particular. Just, you know, generally.

Going back to your original post - are you going to paint the hives or leave "au naturel"? Some wood preservatives contain insecticides so need to be careful. Some cedar is very rot-resistant but not all. I think some people use linseed oil. Leave the insides untreated anyway.
Re the frames, I find a nail gun speeds up assembly by more than half (and will help your fingers!). It's easy to think you have made enough frames to sort it, but you'll end up making up loads more if you stick with the hobby. I'd recommend making up some dummy boards for the end of the brood chambers too - makes removing the 1st frame much easier.
Re attracting a swarm - it's too early yet but it will be swarming season before long. If you can beg an old frame from a reliable source it makes the hive much more attractive to scout bees. A few drops of lemongrass oil helps too. Very frustrating when you watch them scout your hive & they then decide somewhere else is nicer!
I'd buy a colony if you can rather than be frustrated, maybe you will get a swarm in the second hive.

Last edited:
What an unfriendly bunch. - This what you get with this forum. Moderators [some of whom are equally guilty] like to pretend its a 'broad church' and 'everyone's free to express their opinion', yet woe betide a newcomer asking a perhaps naive question and the usual suspects will wade in. Keep in contact with your mentor and local Association, I I tell my new starters to avoid this forum

Communication isn’t always easy is it, its hard to predict how the reader will react to a post. You may find the BBKA forum more conducive if you feel this forum is "closed-minded".

Don’t know if you’re in touch with a local association but there not too bad in Suffolk & quite active. Ipswich is very active and has a number of smaller branch meetings. If your any where near Bury St Edmunds there is an evening meeting on the 11th April regarding Nuc’s - something that maybe of interest to you?
If you want further details please ask.

Going back to your original post - are you going to paint the hives or leave "au naturel"? Some wood preservatives contain insecticides so need to be careful. Some cedar is very rot-resistant but not all. I think some people use linseed oil. Leave the insides untreated anyway.
Re the frames, I find a nail gun speeds up assembly by more than half (and will help your fingers!). It's easy to think you have made enough frames to sort it, but you'll end up making up loads more if you stick with the hobby. I'd recommend making up some dummy boards for the end of the brood chambers too - makes removing the 1st frame much easier.
Re attracting a swarm - it's too early yet but it will be swarming season before long. If you can beg an old frame from a reliable source it makes the hive much more attractive to scout bees. A few drops of lemongrass oil helps too. Very frustrating when you watch them scout your hive & they then decide somewhere else is nicer!
I'd buy a colony if you can rather than be frustrated, maybe you will get a swarm in the second hive.
Ah! Right so:

No I wasn’t going to treat or paint them. The fellow who sold them to me reckons they don’t need either.

That’s useful to know, thank you *writes “buy nail gun” above “pick up meds from chemist” on list of things to do*

My hives came with a dummy board each.

I would be very affronted to see scout bees check out my hives and turn their noses up.

There is a pond next to where the hives will go. Do you think that’ll be ok or should I put another container nearby? Maybe with some big stones in so they don’t drown? The sides of the pond are maybe a bit steep.

Don’t know if you’re in touch with a local association but there not too bad in Suffolk & quite active. Ipswich is very active and has a number of smaller branch meetings. If your any where near Bury St Edmunds there is an evening meeting on the 11th April regarding Nuc’s - something that maybe of interest to you?
If you want further details please ask.
I don’t live in Suffolk. I live just about a 25 minute drive down the road where they also have a BK association. So from my hives - which are in Suffolk - to the Suffolk BK association is a far longer drive than from where I live to the local BK association which is a 5 minute drive if that.

Ah! Right so:

No I wasn’t going to treat or paint them. The fellow who sold them to me reckons they don’t need either.

That’s useful to know, thank you *writes “buy nail gun” above “pick up meds from chemist” on list of things to do*

My hives came with a dummy board each.

I would be very affronted to see scout bees check out my hives and turn their noses up.

There is a pond next to where the hives will go. Do you think that’ll be ok or should I put another container nearby? Maybe with some big stones in so they don’t drown? The sides of the pond are maybe a bit steep.
If there's a handy pond they will use it whether you supply other sources or not, and probably pools in nearby gutters etc. Sadly a few always manage to drown themselves. Steepness isn't a problem except with very slippery surfaces. They prefer "dirtier" water rather than clear pure water. I have an open bag of wet compost at the moment which is very popular.

You come across as a little unprepared for looking after hives of bees, but that may be a false impression.
Best of luck, do lots of reading, get a mentor if you can.
A bit early for swarms yet, and never guaranteed to choose you!

What an unfriendly bunch. - This what you get with this forum. Moderators [some of whom are equally guilty] like to pretend its a 'broad church' and 'everyone's free to express their opinion', yet woe betide a newcomer asking a perhaps naive question and the usual suspects will wade in. Keep in contact with your mentor and local Association, I I tell my new starters to avoid this forum
What an absolute tosh of advice you have just given ,telling your new starters to avoid this forum !!!!!.Makes me wonder what type of mentor you are to your new beekeepers, perhaps maybe not wanting them to find new ways and just learn your way .I am a newbie going into my second year and can truly say this forum has been a godsend ,when wanting advice it has been freely given ,maybe different advice from members, but the underlying advice is the same .
Really if you feel this forum and it's Moderator's are bad why do you stay .
John

If there's a handy pond they will use it whether you supply other sources or not, and probably pools in nearby gutters etc. Sadly a few always manage to drown themselves. Steepness isn't a problem except with very slippery surfaces. They prefer "dirtier" water rather than clear pure water. I have an open bag of wet compost at the moment which is very popular.
They’ll love it then. It’s a very dirty pond. I’m sure the ducks will appreciate any casualties. Can ducks eat dead bees safely?

What an absolute tosh of advice you have just given ,telling your new starters to avoid this forum !!!!!.Makes me wonder what type of mentor you are to your new beekeepers, perhaps maybe not wanting them to find new ways and just learn your way .I am a newbie going into my second year and can truly say this forum has been a godsend ,when wanting advice it has been freely given ,maybe different advice from members, but the underlying advice is the same .
Really if you feel this forum and it's Moderator's are bad why do you stay .
John
I think your post and the 'Likes' it has received rather proves Martin's point?

I don’t think I’ve ever suggested getting bees and chucking them in a box. How patronising. I seem to remember making it very clear I’m keen to get/do it right.

In your dog training analogy, what has happened on here is the equivalent of someone posting on a dog forum “I’m looking to get a puppy. I’m a complete beginner but I’m going to learn as much as I can before I get my puppy and will need lots of advice!” and people saying “You seem very unprepared” and “Well if you’re not going to like it when a puppy piddles on the floor I don’t think dog ownership is for you”.

Helpful.

I’m not surprised the drop out rate is so high.

Anyway, again, thank you to those who have been helpful.
Well ... this moderator spent a good few minutes of his hard earned social time trying to explain a few home truths about being new to beekeeping ... all good advice which, along with other posts, you seem to have thought was unfriendly, patronising and offensive so in future I'll leave you to it ... We've seen plenty of newbies with the same outlook, most of them disappear from here because they don't like taking advice of any sort. Good luck with your beekeeping journey - I'm sure someone on here will be around to help you when you need it but I doubt it will be me.

Well ... As a moderator ... if you are telling your new starters to avoid this forum then I think we can do without you as well ... Go elsewhere if that's how you feel because one more post with comments like that and you will be gone anyway.

Well ... this moderator spent a good few minutes of his hard earned social time trying to explain a few home truths about being new to beekeeping ... all good advice which, along with other posts, you seem to have thought was unfriendly, patronising and offensive so in future I'll leave you to it ... We've seen plenty of newbies with the same outlook, most of them disappear from here because they don't like taking advice of any sort. Good luck with your beekeeping journey - I'm sure someone on here will be around to help you when you need it but I doubt it will be me.
If you’ve seen lots of newbies with the same outlook maybe it might be worth pondering why?

It’s not the advice that’s the problem.

Thank you for your good wishes.

Latest posts

Back