I’d rather be

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sold my Hurley 22 fin keel.... poor girl is still sitting in the boatyard with her new owner lock out due to Covid..... and paying for yard fees plus a mooring.
Not feeling at all guilty as a second home owner bought her to play with .......

I picked up a very neat Wayfarer on a trailer with a new set of sails including a furling jenoa.... under £400!!
Thats a good buy.
My boat is effectively a Wayfarer crossed with Mini Transat so we can do sail camping like Wayfarer but get there quicker, with bit more stuff. Seascape 18

When SWMBO retired in 2005 and I had a flexible p/t job we bought a 1985 35' Wauquiez (upmarket French Holman-designed, virtually identical to Oyster 36) in Turkey. The vessel had sailed from the west coast of USA to Oz, NZ, and ended in Turkey when the couple's daughter, born en route, was age five and needing schooling.
We had five wonderful years - six weeks spring and autumn - cruising between the Turkish coast and the Dodecanese islands. I would hesitate to sail there now for fear of having to rescue sinking dinghies of refugees off Lesbos.
The name of the boat: Amari!

I used to watch ships racing up to Selby on the crest of the tide quite a few years ago. The Selby industry they served has died out now so finding Boothferry bridge opening to let one through is something of a rarity these days. At one time the bridge opened at almost every tide. Coastal road traffic returning from Bridlington could end up queueing back and beyond Howden on the A614. No M62 then.
I spent most of my young childhood holidays (in the 1950's) on the East coast - Bridlington, Hornsea, Withernsea etc. It was several hours journey in my father's Ford Popular (Reg No PWT 386 - strange how these things stick with you - I can never remember my present vehicle reg) and Boothferry Bridge used to be a sound indicator that we were well on the way there .. we always seemed to arrive when the bridge was open and have to wait. We would leave about 8.00am and Dad's objective was to get to Driffield between noon and 1.00pm and we had time then for fish and chips from the chippie there before getting to Bridlington around 2.0pm to get the keys to the holiday caravan - or latterly a bungalow we used to rent for a couple of weeks. Amazing the difference modern roads and vehicles have made to those journeys in my lifetime.

Thats a good buy.
My boat is effectively a Wayfarer crossed with Mini Transat so we can do sail camping like Wayfarer but get there quicker, with bit more stuff. Seascape 18
The Wayfarer was/is a very sound, solid, dinghy to sail ... great boat to learn to sail in although, on the one occasion when we managed a capsize (not that easy in a Mk1 Wayfarer !), it took three of us standing on the centreboard and rail and hanging out to get it back upright ... not the lightest of boats. Fortunately, it was a gust and poor helmsmanship that put us over - in worse conditions I doubt we would have managed it.

I spent most of my young childhood holidays (in the 1950's) on the East coast - Bridlington, Hornsea, Withernsea etc. It was several hours journey in my father's Ford Popular (Reg No PWT 386 - strange how these things stick with you - I can never remember my present vehicle reg) and Boothferry Bridge used to be a sound indicator that we were well on the way there .. we always seemed to arrive when the bridge was open and have to wait. We would leave about 8.00am and Dad's objective was to get to Driffield between noon and 1.00pm and we had time then for fish and chips from the chippie there before getting to Bridlington around 2.0pm to get the keys to the holiday caravan - or latterly a bungalow we used to rent for a couple of weeks. Amazing the difference modern roads and vehicles have made to those journeys in my lifetime.

My father bought his first car, also a Ford Pop, in Mexborough c.1947. Reg: DET 718..... I passed my driving test in a later version the marque in 1958 - despite hitting the curb in the three-point turn......

Last edited:
The Wayfarer was/is a very sound, solid, dinghy to sail ... great boat to learn to sail in although, on the one occasion when we managed a capsize (not that easy in a Mk1 Wayfarer !), it took three of us standing on the centreboard and rail and hanging out to get it back upright ... not the lightest of boats. Fortunately, it was a gust and poor helmsmanship that put us over - in worse conditions I doubt we would have managed it.

At least you're nimble enough to still sail a dinghy! Last time I tried, c. three years ago in Croatia, I capsized in wind Force 2 - the only boat in the beach club final holiday race to do so (we had taken the grandchildren to learn how to sail). I was just too slow to swap sides when tacking.

My father bought his first car, also a Ford Pop, in Mexborough c.1947. Reg: DET 718..... I passed my driving test in a later version the marque in 1958 - despite hitting the curb in the three-point turn......
It's a small world isn't i ? My family all lived in Mexborough and from being born until I went off to college in 1967 I lived in Swinton .. My Dad's Ford pop (1954 car) was also purchased from a car dealership in Mexborough, His next car was a Hillman Minx .. RWF 160 (it's very worrying that I can remember these details) - that was replaced with a 1966 Hillman Super Minx Reg: 3956 ET that I learned to drive in ....

His next car was a Hillman Minx .. RWF 160 (it's very worrying that I can remember these details) - that was replaced with a 1966 Hillman Super Minx Reg: 3956 ET that I learned to drive in ....
My father's brother in law, Uncle Robin's first car was a Hillman Super Minx estate (Green) which he bought new in 1963 it was one of the early vehicles to have an A suffix to denote the year, can't remember the whole number but I'm sure it started BMU when he changed it in 1977 for a Chrysler Sunbeam, he gave the car to us - we'd had a repaired and resprayed 'salvage' minx estate up until then but it was on its last legs, I remember going on the 'new' intercity 125 with my father to go and collect it from their home in Tottenham. It always caused arguments when taking it for it's MOT because according to our local testing station, the 'A' plate did not exist (Apparently it was only trialled in a few counties and the suffix plate didn't become mandatory until 1967), it was built like a tank, we kids loved it, especially when we were allowed to travel in the luggage space!! it did sterling service on the milk round and when my father decided to get a landrover we sold it on to a neighbour.

(it's very worrying that I can remember these details)

Yes, I can remember the 1947 number as per post 65 but if I watch a movie I can't recall the plot a week later......

If this becomes too obvious on the forum, please call in the men in white coats....

Another sailor, smaller than most of yours though. Fast cat and a phantom. Stopped me buying fast bike which wouldn't have ended well. Unfortunately not sailed since I've moved, boats still languishing at their old club, waiting for an end to all this and find s nice club in Shropshire.

Yes, I can remember the 1947 number as per post 65 but if I watch a movie I can't recall the plot a week later......

If this becomes too obvious on the forum, please call in the men in white coats....
I think they are waiting in the wings for a few of us already ....

My father's brother in law, Uncle Robin's first car was a Hillman Super Minx estate (Green) which he bought new in 1963 it was one of the early vehicles to have an A suffix to denote the year, can't remember the whole number but I'm sure it started BMU when he changed it in 1977 for a Chrysler Sunbeam, he gave the car to us - we'd had a repaired and resprayed 'salvage' minx estate up until then but it was on its last legs, I remember going on the 'new' intercity 125 with my father to go and collect it from their home in Tottenham. It always caused arguments when taking it for it's MOT because according to our local testing station, the 'A' plate did not exist (Apparently it was only trialled in a few counties and the suffix plate didn't become mandatory until 1967), it was built like a tank, we kids loved it, especially when we were allowed to travel in the luggage space!! it did sterling service on the milk round and when my father decided to get a landrover we sold it on to a neighbour.
Those Hillmans and Sunbeams were the last really good Rootes Group cars .. My Dad swapped the Superminx for an arrow series Humber Sceptre which rotted in no time ... and then the daft beggar bought another one ... that rotted in no time ... The superminx was always my favourite though - on a good day I could get 85 out of it down Golden Smithies Lane, Swinton, before it was time to slam on the brakes in case the railway crossing gates were shut. Seats like armchairs, proper gearbox with a nice floor shift and overdrive. Dad used to reckon it always drove better after I had taken it out ... I doubt he ever knew why ... had some fun in it. The estate version was fabulous - ours was the saloon in Ermine white with a thin red coach stripe under the chrome. There's still a Sunbeam version of it a few roads away from me in daily use and looks a treat.

I used to watch ships racing up to Selby on the crest of the tide quite a few years ago

Do you remember boats being lauched? Sideways. Great fun. Yes boats and bees go together - I've a Leader, a Mirror and a Miracle, none of which I've been able to see since last summer.

My Ditty

BEE FEVER

With apologies to John Masefield

I must go down to the bees again, to the humming bees in their hive,
And all I ask is a smoker and a veil to get me by,
And the real kick of the drawn comb and a little worker breaking,
And a apiary smile upon my face, and queen cells in the making.

I must go down to the bees again, for the call of the nectar tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a humid day with a strong hive a-swarming
But a caught swarm and a hived swarm, and my heart swiftly warming.

I must go down to the bees again, to the chagrin of my wife,
To the nature’s way and the world’s way where the bees consume your life;
And all I ask is a honeyed chat from a laughing fellow-keeper,
And a quiet buzz and a sweet dream when comes the grimmest reaper.

Latest posts

Back