I’d rather be

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could provide 100 percent plant reliability if your semi trained monkeys would stop breaking it

Similar here
I left the NHS after 7 years training when "management" decided it would be cheaper to bring in untrained staff to run the quite delicate autoanalyser blood analysing equipment!

My parting comment was if we could train a bunch of apes to run the machines they would not get broken so often... and the apes would NOT try to interpret the results!

Went into medical electronics........

Yeghes da

In my early working life, companies employed Personnel Managers, whose role was much more in tune with shop floor activity than the HR functions of today. I have long thought the reclassification of the role to “Human Resources” sent a subliminal message to employees that they were considered the same as plant and machinery, not people.

Over the years as things became more and more politically correct, employees lacking commitment to the business and their colleagues, found several avenues to become nothing but an irritant in the system that their manager could do nothing about.
For example a stress related condition, diagnosed by a GP or Occupational Health OVER THE TELEPHONE gave shirkers complete freedom of action, as companies became too frightened of a possible legal challenge to disciplinary action.

It must now be getting even worse with the onset of wokeness. I’m glad to be out of it.

I had several "interesting debates" with production managers. Most ended with " I could provide 100 percent plant reliability if your semi trained monkeys would stop breaking it"!
We used to call our production department the sales prevention team ! They viewed every order as a production difficulty...

Does anyone ever think just to sell everything and disappear somewhere , roll up in a van somewhere abroad next to a surf beach and plonk your hives on the van roof .....maybe just me :unsure:
Not much forage on a beach.
For me a nice alpine meadow with just the sound of grasshoppers and distant cowbells. And nowhere near the hiker trails!

Not much forage on a beach.
For me a nice alpine meadow with just the sound of grasshoppers and distant cowbells. And nowhere near the hiker trails!

You would get bored quite quickly.

Most people who take beekeeping seriously like hard work.

My thought for the day - I’d rather be beekeeping. Yes I know it’s cold and -1.0 and frosty but when dealing with employees who are, frankly, in complete denial about their behaviour I’d rather talk to the bees, or hit some nails into wood than put up with them !

rant over
S
I’d rather be 30 again

I rather be sailing. Bought a boat then had a hernia, then smashed my wrist badly, then covid.... I've sailed it twice in about 4 years. There's something about having the tiller in your hands, the navigation going round inside your head is so calming even in a Force 7 perhaps especially when its rough....

I rather be sailing. Bought a boat then had a hernia, then smashed my wrist badly, then covid.... I've sailed it twice in about 4 years. There's something about having the tiller in your hands, the navigation going round inside your head is so calming even in a Force 7 perhaps especially when its rough....
So would I but .... it's a bit like standing under a cold shower tearing up £5 notes ... I'm emotionally attached to mine - I've had it since 1986 but .... for what its cost over those years I could have chartered a 40' one for a week every year and probably sailed more with less pain.

Last edited:
Ah yes that old chestnut ! And the wealth. Haha
I had relatively more to spend on leisure in my teens than I ever had since. Mind you I didn't have my own house, council tax, wife and children then. I don't miss the hangovers or hurling up my post drinks fish and chip supper in someone's privet hedge on the way home on Saturday nights and I doubt I could survive them now 🤔

I had relatively more to spend on leisure in my teens than I ever had since. Mind you I didn't have my own house, council tax, wife and children then. I don't miss the hangovers or hurling up my post drinks fish and chip supper in someone's privet hedge on the way home on Saturday nights and I doubt I could survive them now 🤔
I had my kids young so we never had much money when they were small and thank goodness we got all of them off our hands when they were mid twenties. So with the house paid for long ago and several pensions I've never had so much money and so little to spend it on.
Then I thought "I'll take up beekeeping that'll get rid of some money" 🤣

So would I but .... it's a bit like standing under a cold shower tearing up £5 notes ... I'm emotionally attached to mine - I've had it since 1986 but .... for what it's cost over those years I could have chartered a 40' one for a week every year and probably sailed more with less pain.
Which is why mine is on a trailer in my garden. The cost of renting a hole in water on the South Coast is £3000+ a year. Only 5.5m sleeps 2 but can do 15knots off the wind.

Which is why mine is on a trailer in my garden. The cost of renting a hole in water on the South Coast is £3000+ a year. Only 5.5m sleeps 2 but can do 15knots off the wind.
You can find moorings in the solent for less than that .. I have a mud berth with water and electric on the pontoon and pay a lot less than that... access 3 hrs either side of high for a 1.5m keel -obviously if you want a River Hamble berth with all tide access then you are going to pay even more than £3k... way outside my budget.

Latest posts

Back