I’d rather be

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had my kids young so we never had much money when they were small and thank goodness we got all of them off our hands when they were mid twenties. So with the house paid for long ago and several pensions I've never had so much money and so little to spend it on.
Then I thought "I'll take up beekeeping that'll get rid of some money" 🤣
If you feel like sponsoring me then I can provide bank details ...

So would I but .... it's a bit like standing under a cold shower tearing up £5 notes ... I'm emotionally attached to mine - I've had it since 1986 but .... for what its cost over those years I could have chartered a 40' one for a week every year and probably sailed more with less pain.
Which is why I charter a boat when I want to sail !

A berth on Solent is like having a long long slip road to the M25....
Must admit not impressed with the Solent. The nav isnt interesting and its crowded. hence the other reason for a boat on a trailer. Did a lot of chartering in the West country, South west Ireland, the Western isles of Scotland and the East Coast.

A berth on Solent is like having a long long slip road to the M25....
Must admit not impressed with the Solent. The nav isnt interesting and its crowded. hence the other reason for a boat on a trailer. Did a lot of chartering in the West country, South west Ireland, the Western isles of Scotland and the East Coast.
The isles of western Scotland are great sailing territory

Sold my Hurley 22 fin keel.... poor girl is still sitting in the boatyard with her new owner lock out due to Covid..... and paying for yard fees plus a mooring.
Not feeling at all guilty as a second home owner bought her to play with .......

I picked up a very neat Wayfarer on a trailer with a new set of sails including a furling jenoa.... under £400!!

And on the weekend it's like trying to extricate yourself out of a B&Q carpark on a bank holiday Monday
I enjoy those days out of season and weekdays during term time ... theres not a lot that beats bacon rolls shortly after dawn in Newtown creek in February with the eberspacher pumping hot air round the cabin and no other boats in sight ! Weekends in summer anywhere in the main part of the solent is just madness ...idiots afloat and the constant wash from those who seem to think that sail gives way to gin palace and if they don't then it's fun to watch you struggle with the wash as they cross 6 feet in front of you...

I enjoy those days out of season and weekdays during term time ... theres not a lot that beats bacon rolls shortly after dawn in Newtown creek in February with the eberspacher pumping hot air round the cabin and no other boats in sight ! Weekends in summer anywhere in the main part of the solent is just madness ...idiots afloat and the constant wash from those who seem to think that sail gives way to gin palace and if they don't then it's fun to watch you struggle with the wash as they cross 6 feet in front of you...
Folly pub pontoon on christmas day with a flattened turkey cooking in a tiny yacht oven with ice on the decks outside was my xmas surprise 20 years ago

Last edited:
Yes we sailed many times out of Ardfern but mostly north through the sound of Luing. A lot further north The Kyle Rhea is fun with a big merchant ship up your chuff.
Hello sailor ;) :sifone:

A lot further north The Kyle Rhea is fun with a big merchant ship up your chuff.
done that Kyle quite a few times (skippers would always drag us budding watchkeepers up to do these passages to keep us 'sharp') I always enjoyed the Kyles of Bute though, especially if it involved an overnight on the pier at Tighnabruach

I’d rather be.....
At a Michael Barrymore pool party!!

The Customers are on the whole fine. The staff on the other hand....
When I had my businesses, looking after many elderly, my 60 lovely staff were also my headache.. taking one to police to get her a protection order against abuse at home, another being evicted that day (husband unaware) till I sorted with the Council to help pay her rent.. another thieving from me.. younger staff thinking I was an agony aunt! but 24 years of it, and i loved it all.. enjoying retirement with my bees .. and lovely husband!

done that Kyle quite a few times (skippers would always drag us budding watchkeepers up to do these passages to keep us 'sharp') I always enjoyed the Kyles of Bute though, especially if it involved an overnight on the pier at Tighnabruach
As a boy I went on a steamer trip around the Kyles of Bute. Stood up front in the bows until a wave washed over me. Spent the rest of the trip standing watching the big old steam engine enjoying the heat as I slowly dried.

Best boat name (on an Enterprise dinghy) I have seen is "A l'eau, C'est l'heure" .

I have a classic 1951 clinker built (in mahogany (not ply) ribbed Merlin Rocket which I am hoping to sell soon as I am sure I won't sail again. I sold a 1947 Merlin last spring but it's still in my garage as was unable to deliver due to Covid.

Seems to be a lot of sailors on here. Do they all drop anchor eventually and become beekeepers?
Racing up and down the Humber.
Racing Hull to Imudjen dodging squalls and then a week round the IJsselmeer.
Bare foot sailing
Sailing in and out of Whangaroa Harbour up the coast rod catching lots of snapper for dinner.
Sailing around Bay of islands free diving for big fat cray fish for tea.
“Steaming” out of Whangaparoa to Great Barrier island through Orcas, 1000 strong pods of dolphins, catch and release sharks. Catch and eat snapper, trevally, kahawai. Free diving for scallops at Great Barrier. Trailing lures for tuna. Green lips off the rocks.

I must go down to the sea again
To the lonely sea and the sky
And all I ask is a tall ship
And a star to steer her by

Or Spike Milligan

I must go down to the sea again,
to the lonely sea and the sky;
I left my shoes and socks there -
I wonder if they're dry?;)

Seems to be a lot of sailors on here. Do they all drop anchor eventually and become beekeepers?
Racing up and down the Humber.
Racing Hull to Imudjen dodging squalls and then a week round the IJsselmeer.
Bare foot sailing
Sailing in and out of Whangaroa Harbour up the coast rod catching lots of snapper for dinner.
Sailing around Bay of islands free diving for big fat cray fish for tea.
“Steaming” out of Whangaparoa to Great Barrier island through Orcas, 1000 strong pods of dolphins, catch and release sharks. Catch and eat snapper, trevally, kahawai. Free diving for scallops at Great Barrier. Trailing lures for tuna. Green lips off the rocks.

I must go down to the sea again
To the lonely sea and the sky
And all I ask is a tall ship
And a star to steer her by

Or Spike Milligan

I must go down to the sea again,
to the lonely sea and the sky;
I left my shoes and socks there -
I wonder if they're dry?;)
I used to watch ships racing up to Selby on the crest of the tide quite a few years ago. The Selby industry they served has died out now so finding Boothferry bridge opening to let one through is something of a rarity these days. At one time the bridge opened at almost every tide. Coastal road traffic returning from Bridlington could end up queueing back and beyond Howden on the A614. No M62 then.

Latest posts

Back