how much was your christmas tree

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuswellMetro

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Just bought a Nordic non drop christmas tree from the garden centre...went in with 50 quid came out with a fiver

£45 for a 6ft Tree

ok london prices are always high but want is the price of a 6ft non drop christmas tree near you

Last edited:
same all over UK that, rip off, so just chopped 7ft off the top of the tree outsite the front door :) sorted

herself is alergic to the pine trees so every year we buy some other alive tree and wrap it up for xmas and then plant it in january. last year was a corkscrew hazel about 30quid and the year before was a large weeping willow about 40 quid. wonder whats for xmas this year. i was a beech.

newportbuzz thats a really great idea, think i would want it in the house and decorated though before it goes outside!

I must admit this year I was going to go and cut some holly or hazel and do my own tree, but managed to find a 5ft nordic spruce WITH root for £30. Really chuffed, for anyone in north cornwall Cedar Croft is the place to go! Will plant it outside in a large tub for the year and maybe use it again next year

Zero. Same as we spend on the whole of christmas every year.

and before anyone asks ... no we don't get out christmas shopping bargain tips off blackberry messenger!!!!

We are still debating lifting our xmas tree which we bought rooted two years ago.

Last year it was frozen in.

I hate to think how deep the roots are now.... deep dig...LOL

PH

£32 for a 7ft tree but had to dig it myself took hr and half.

£15 about six years ago, from a garden centre that was closing down, reduced from £85 because they had lost its box.
Okay, it's not a 'real' one, but most who don't know think it is, and we don't care, it looks right and saves all the hassle when one only has to drag it out of the roof rather than half way across the county.
So what's that? About £2.50 a year and reducing. Means we can be utterly profligate when buying food and drink for Xmas!
;)

newportbuzz thats a really great idea, think i would want it in the house and decorated though before it goes outside!

I must admit this year I was going to go and cut some holly or hazel and do my own tree, but managed to find a 5ft nordic spruce WITH root for £30. Really chuffed, for anyone in north cornwall Cedar Croft is the place to go! Will plant it outside in a large tub for the year and maybe use it again next year

we do bring them in and decorate them aswell. you have to be a bit carefull when you put them out again as they can get a bit of a shock going back out into the cold again. i usualy put them in the green house for a week after we are done with it to re harden it off again. it doesnt look the same as an xmas tree but its nice to see it still growing in sumer a few years after and rember the season you got it in. kinda like saving memories.

I bought 120 6 -10'' bare root ones at the auction in Wisbech in Feb 2010 for 30p each, also 100 10 ltr pots (used) for a fiver from the same auction. Then me and the wife spent an afternoon potting the up with a mixture of garden soil, grow bag and sand. Other than our time we are up to about 45p each with a handful of pelleted poultry manure in the spring.
The wife waters them and the best are now nearly 3ft including pot.
We have 3 of these this year in a row on a cabinet with mini battery LED lights and a few small baubles.
My aim was that next Christma,s ie nearly 3 years from purchase I would stick some in the trailer and try and flog them for a fiver hoping they would be 4ft by then. ;)
Looking in B&Q and the such I may be too cheap but would be happy with that return.
So back to the original question...£1.35 for 3 ! oh they are Norway spruce.

Years ago I too visited Thetford forest in the early hours with a transit and my Wickes handsaw, 3 minutes later I had to cut the trunk agin to get the doors shut. Then at home I had to trim it twice more so I could stand it up !
What a waste. Always had rooted ones since and planted them on my field border behind the hives, 3 swarms this year and all in the Christmas trees.
Pete D

£500,000.00... but did get enough Nordic firs to see me and the next few generations of our family supplied with trees....

ones rooted out have been replaced with local apple varieties... I still wonder why previous owner planted fir-trees in an orchard?

Wassail !

19 euros for a pine tree in a pot. About one metre tall - seem to be very expensive this year.
It will stay outdoors until Christmas Eve, then be brought in and decorated until New Years' Day, then un-decorated and planted outside.
I don't mind a few pine needles falling inside the house :)

Edit: I planted an Abies Koreana sapling in the front garden a few years ago - about 3m tall now, which has Christmas lights on in the festive season. Ironically, it doesn't drop it's needles :rolleyes:

Last edited:
£19 for a six footer, no roots, from local garden centre. Lovely tree. :rolleyes:

Humbug!!

£15 about six years ago, from a garden centre that was closing down, reduced from £85 because they had lost its box.
Okay, it's not a 'real' one, but most who don't know think it is, and we don't care, it looks right and saves all the hassle
;)

mmmm We have similar debate at home! :banghead:

I have even gone to the effort of providing a bare wood floor in the dinning room to effect easy removal of said needles (with the lovely vacuum cleaner I bought her last year). :rofl::rofl:
But the same thing comes up EVERY December! :boxing_smiley: :boxing_smiley:

Christmas is just not Christmas without a real tree and the growers know this, but who cares.
Buying mine/ours Monday after work, from a farm that grows them locally. I will have the necessary ready (if rather begrudgingly), after working like a dog for the last three weeks!
Its all par for the season! ! ! ! :auto:

:xmas-smiley-010::xmas-smiley-010::xmas-smiley-010::xmas-smiley-010::xmas-smiley-010::xmas-smiley-010::xmas-smiley-010::xmas-smiley-010::xmas-smiley-010::xmas-smiley-010::xmas-smiley-010::xmas-smiley-010:

Latest posts

Back