How Much is Your Honey?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They say that because they have to. I can equally say it seems to work for me. The customer is then free to make up their own mind - and lets not forget I am not loitering at some hayfever exhibition and accosting some otherwise uninterested member of the public. I have this discussion when asked by a customer about local honey being "good for hayfever".
There is plenty of homeopathic bunkum around health, and in my opinion based on logic and personal experience, pollen immunotherapy does actually work, and that is exactly what I tell customers who ask me about it.
And although I am hardly experienced at selling honey, noone has bought any honey from me, or that I have sold (at our apiary open days), just to cure their hayfever.

I have no problems extolling the health virtues of our local honey.

Apparently it is supposed to be very good for embalming as well.

Dead handy that then, I guess people could work that into their sales pitch as well...

....does it have to be local?

Chris

no any old french rubbish will do for that :)

I can't believe a beekeeper is doubting/dissing the health virtues of honey. Well I can, which is why I am now out of this thread.

There is no evidence that points to "local honey" or any other honey being beneficial for hay fever sufferers or people with any other allergies and I have known as many people to apparently be made worse from eating this as are apparently made better.

Chris

There is a women who come from Brighton who sufferers from hay fever and buys Brighton honey.
she says it works for her.
She got a job as a school teacher at Crawley and her hay fever came back when she was in Crawley.
She now buys honey from me in Crawley and takes both.
No more hay fever.

We didn't have enough to sell this year - but the farm where we kept a few hives asked to buy the honey from 'their' hives when it is available. I felt I couldn't say no...but they are only willing to pay £3 per lb jar...

I think a sign on the fence for the bulk next year - and fewer hives at the farm.

We didn't have enough to sell this year - but the farm where we kept a few hives asked to buy the honey from 'their' hives when it is available. I felt I couldn't say no...but they are only willing to pay £3 per lb jar...

I think a sign on the fence for the bulk next year - and fewer hives at the farm.

It's traditional to give a few jars as apiary rent. I wouldn't feel bad about them wanting it cheap as an alternative.

I have mixed feelings about the whole hayfever thing.
Firstly, as far as I know, most people with hayfever in the UK are allergic to grass pollen. As grasses are wind pollinated I doubt there is much chance of local honey making any difference to a sufferer.
However, I used to suffer very badly with hayfever. It vanished completely a couple of years after I started keeping bees. So, who knows?

Oh, and I currently get about £6/lb (in jars) if sold in the right place :)

Where did you get that info re: grass pollen?
I used to think I was allergic to grass pollen, but that was simply because I used to sneeze whenever grass was cut in the summer during my hayfever period. I now think that cut grass made me sneeze simply because of the particulates in the air irritating my nose. Thinking back I never used to get the swollen eyes or itching - just the sneezing.

I now think I was/am allergic to tree pollen, and cut grass just exascerbated it.

Hi MandF - its an allergic reaction to a foreign protein in pollen. Any pollen though some cause it more than others. Also animals can trigger it.

Where did you get that info re: grass pollen?
I used to think I was allergic to grass pollen, but that was simply because I used to sneeze whenever grass was cut in the summer during my hayfever period. I now think that cut grass made me sneeze simply because of the particulates in the air irritating my nose. Thinking back I never used to get the swollen eyes or itching - just the sneezing.

I now think I was/am allergic to tree pollen, and cut grass just exascerbated it.

"In Britain about 90% of the hayfever sufferers are allergic to grass pollen and about 25% are allergic to birch pollen".
-Allergymatters.com

As far as I know birch is wind pollinated too (May be wrong about that though).

"In Britain about 90% of the hayfever sufferers are allergic to grass pollen and about 25% are allergic to birch pollen".
-Allergymatters.com

25% + 90% = 115% ...........

Allergy matters is an online shop selling allergy equipment. There are better sources. Much better sources. Apparently they have a sale on SAD lamps though so every cloud :hurray:

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Hay-fever/Pages/Introduction.aspx

http://www.allergyuk.org/fs_rhinitis.aspx

made me smile taaa :)

It is true lol they do....

And it was misquoted - found the actual quote from their learning centre:

If you have hayfever, you may be allergic to only one type of pollen, or several of them. In the UK 95% of people are allergic to grass pollen. The grass pollen season can start as early as may, and not finish until mid August, peaking in late June, early July.
The second most common allergen is Birch pollen, affecting about 25% of hay fever sufferers. The birch season is April. But some trees such as hazel, elm and alder release their pollens as early as January due to the climate change.

Allergy to the pollen from weeds such as nettles is also extremely common, and the season for this can span from April to mid-September.

For most hay fever sufferers the suffering lasts a few weeks, but for unlucky people who are sensitive to a range of pollens it can last for many months.

which makes more sense.

Source :http://www.allergymatters.com/acatalog/HayFever_Learning_Centre.html#What is Hay Fever?

25% + 90% = 115% ...........

Perhaps because people can have two different allergies at the same time???

If you don't like allergymatters how about this from Allergy UK (the leading UK medical charity for allergy sufferers)...

"Grass pollen is the most common allergen".

All say the same thing really.

It is true lol they do....And it was misquoted - found the actual quote from their learning centre:
which makes more sense.
Source :http://www.allergymatters.com/acatalog/HayFever_Learning_Centre.html#What is Hay Fever?
Read 90% 25% as and or , this makes sense of the figures ie some can be allergic to either or :)
Bees foraging fly back home , whilst flying they become statically charged!, they are flying in an atmosphere thick with the pollen grains of all kinds of wind pollinated species! The static charge serves to attract pollens not being actively sought to the body of the bee ,this in turn becomes incorporated into both the food chain and honey producing processes !
Eating honey throughout the Winter months ,apparently keeps the immune system in touch with pollen , this provides the continuity required by allergy sufferers whose immune systems have a short memory :)
So it is said :)
VM

because people can have two different allergies at the same time

No. You deliberately misquoted them to suit your own argument. The ACTUAL quote is fine. In your efforts to be correct (pfffffff) you have misinformed someone about matters medical and misquoted a source. Thats my only concern. And a duel allergy would not be expressed as such.... you know it .... as does everyone else.

-Allergymatters.com

Yes Birch is wind pollinated as is Maize and I gather Maize pollen finds its way into honey (recent thread about GM pollen).

Latest posts

Back