How much aggression is too much?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emman

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
1-2
I was wondering what your thoughts are on how much aggression you're willing to take from your bees. At what point do you think re-queening is the way forward, or do you have any other tricks?

One of the hives I keep seems to be getting worse. They try to sting several times on every visit through my gloves, they follow me away from the hive and dive-bomb me throughout inspections.

I'd really appreciate your thoughts and/or own experiences.

when you dont like to look through the hive lol

I tolerate nothing. Following is a no-no. A third generation Carniolan cross hive started following and stinging and I requeened a month later.

Beekeeping is a hobby ,not an exercise in sado-masochism.. (welll for me that is :sunning:

fine if you can find the queen without being stung to death !

From what you have said I would re-queen, I have a colony I am unhappy with so will be uniting with a well behaved colony before the end of August.

Although you have not asked how I will do this here is my plan.

Mid morning Place an empty brood box next to the hive block up the entrance of the hive in which the queen is being replaced and move the complete hive 20 feet away from its original position. I will then wait until mid afternoon and find the queen, once the colony settles I will unite using the newspaper method in the original spot.

I will only do this on a clear sunny day to ensure the flying bees are out and reduce any chances of incident.

Ps having said all the above it must be remembered that bees are more protective of stores at this time of year, they are also strong in number.

Do you wear gauntlets or surgical gloves? Bees are not keen on gauntlets and the more times gauntlets are stung the more the bees are likely to react.

Good luck

Last edited:
If they are like this every visit, re queen them.

Ditto - provided you know you are wearing a clean suit and clean gloves, which would rule out any reaction to sting pheromones.

This is my thread:

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=25643

I haven't been participating in the craft that long but have four other hives and go see anyone's and everyone's hives I can go see by invitation and I have never experienced anything like these I have been given. Pure evil nasty gits.

It is not a pleasure inspecting these bee's infact I can't get past the QE.

They will be re-queened and if that fails to change them.... its curtains!

Work out your action plan then practice if necessary and then execute.

Alternatively, get someone to help you.

A thought, what time of day are you inspecting?

More than two irate bees after 10 minutes of looking in. Sometimes they have a reason for being more irate than normal e.g. Supercedure , clumsy beek. Some times they have a solitary nutter bees.

How much aggression is too much?

For me it depends on circumstances as much as anything and given my circumstances it doesn't bother me, I just let them be but then I don't normally go delving in my hives unless there's an obvious issue. Removing honey can be fun and a little challenging but what's life without a few minor difficult situations to make life interesting.

If I had people next door to worry about I guess it would be different.

Chris

Ditto - provided you know you are wearing a clean suit and clean gloves, which would rule out any reaction to sting pheromones.

... Sometimes they have a reason for being more irate than normal e.g. Supercedure , clumsy beek. ...

A thought, what time of day are you inspecting?

I'd just add to the list of potential bee irritants - bananas, 'personal care products' and bad breath!

Launder your suit with washing soda.
Don't wear leather gloves - try disposable nitriles under washing up gloves.
Avoid scented shampoos, etc.
Brush teeth before inspecting in the middle of the day. And don't eat anything banana-flavoured before visiting the bees!
Take away every possible irritant you can identify.

Then, if the bees don't have a reason for being grumpy (like being Q-, raddled with varroa, or being robbed by wasps, other bees or humans) then take action against the genetic root of the problem.

It depends to on location, if its in a out apiary I don't worry to much, it helps to keep bullocks and young boys away, but if at home in the garden its best to re-queen as soon as.

Latest posts

Back