How earlier to feed?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zante

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
If I want to feed a hive to have the colony nice and strong for when an early crop is expected, say mid april, when should one start feeding pollen and syrup? Would it have to be thin syrup to simulate nectar?

Start feeding protein from the end of February.

Varroa should be well treated also, because all the feeding in the world will not allow a hive build up if infested with varroa.

If you want an early start, you need bees to be strong before feeding. So insulate.

If you have no colonies yet, forget your idea. Learn to keep bees before trying to run, figuratively speaking.

If you have no colonies yet, forget your idea. Learn to keep bees before trying to run, figuratively speaking.

Not planning to do anything of the sort yet, but when a question pops into my mind I need it satisfied, or it will bug me until the next one replaces it, that's all.

Next time, draw a time line and fill in colony population wrt time. It would all become clear in a couple of minutes if you know the brood cycle for the honeybee.

Latest posts

Back