Hornet trap

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks very clever, I wonder how you monitor mite drop?

Interesting piece of kit, wonder how effective it really is, the wasps were a nightmare in my area last year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good idea but I thought the initial Asian Hornet attack was frontal attack on foraging bees returning to the hive, hence the use of a badminton racket mentioned before on this forum.

These hornets are just the other side of the channel and can fly the distance across. If seen, please inform Defra. They will enter the hive, ripping up all they encounter and demolish the brood.
The may also come over in wood imports.
But, yes, wasps were my nightmare last year. Sorry all you wasp luvvies but queen wasps seen on my property will die. I will leave alone those that are well away from my area.

I've asked this before but I don't remember getting a response.

The European hornet is not wide spread across the uk but appears to be confined to the south. why?? Is it climatic or environmental factors that have stopped it spreading? So... will the same apply to the Asian hornet? When it arrives, will it be localised to the south?

We make Asian hornet traps out of plastic drinks bottles - they work fine, and I expect they're cheaper :)

Torq: The european hornet is found in Yorkshire and has been here for several years. Nice to know that Yorkshire is now in the south so maybe house prices will now go up!

Does that now make you "soft southern bastids"?? The cheek of those southern hornets comin up ere takin our bees!!

Any hornet distribution maps I've seen have not had them up that far, must be old maps!

Does that now make you "soft southern bastids"?? The cheek of those southern hornets comin up ere takin our bees!!

Any hornet distribution maps I've seen have not had them up that far, must be old maps!

Wait till they reach Scotland and the bees meet them with a Glaswegian kiss!

As Luminos says, over here we use plastic bottles and mix a concoction of fruit juice and alcohol! Last year the Asian hornets were flying around the hive when we opened them and were try to get the bees from the top of the hive - thankfully there were not many. They do say though that hornets usually attack hives in a close proximity to their nest, and they are usually within 100 metres, but don't know how true that is.

These hornets are just the other side of the channel and can fly the distance across. If seen, please inform Defra. They will enter the hive, ripping up all they encounter and demolish the brood.
The may also come over in wood imports.
But, yes, wasps were my nightmare last year. Sorry all you wasp luvvies but queen wasps seen on my property will die. I will leave alone those that are well away from my area.
the only good wasp is a dead one!!!!

I have just caught up with the Apishield from my beecraft. I do have Asian Hornets here. As mentioned above plastic bottle traps work extremly well. I have a badminton raquet and that gets many. The problem with this trap may be that the Asian hornet hovers in front of the hive waiting for a returning bee. Also having just had a huge swarm arrive and simply enter my stored Hive boxes (It ended up filling about 7+ out of 10 frames of a Langstroth box) I moved the hive to a better location but had not had time to put a mouse guard on so the entrance was wide open. I caught and killed two very large Asian hornets actually entering the hive. Once I put on a mouse guard (now Somewhere called a hornet guard) that stopped that. The Asian Hornet is probably only a real problem if it attacks in numbers, When it will siege the bees into submission. I would like to try one of these traps if I can find one.

Vita

I have just caught up with the Apishield from my beecraft. I do have Asian Hornets here. As mentioned above plastic bottle traps work extremly well. I have a badminton raquet and that gets many. The problem with this trap may be that the Asian hornet hovers in front of the hive waiting for a returning bee. Also having just had a huge swarm arrive and simply enter my stored Hive boxes (It ended up filling about 7+ out of 10 frames of a Langstroth box) I moved the hive to a better location but had not had time to put a mouse guard on so the entrance was wide open. I caught and killed two very large Asian hornets actually entering the hive. Once I put on a mouse guard (now Somewhere called a hornet guard) that stopped that. The Asian Hornet is probably only a real problem if it attacks in numbers, When it will siege the bees into submission. I would like to try one of these traps if I can find one.

Vita have them available now, I saw one at the show at the Harper Adams university this weekend but it is around £75. its an impressive thing though.

Dave W

Hey yes thank you

I have been in touch with vita who say that the postage would be more than 100% of the cost of the trap.

Think for the moment I will continue to use my Badminton bat

Back