honey yields up 33%

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john t

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
it was mentioned on radio 2 this morning honey yields for 2018 are up 33 %

My honey yield is up 400% on last year. We had a long hot summer. That might have something to do with it ;)

On the news too with facts about bees with a nice animated picture of a wasp! Vaguely mentioned Asian hornets

My honey yield is up 400% on last year. We had a long hot summer. That might have something to do with it ;)

Makes my 270% look like a fail!:winner1st:

Up 33% on what? Without a base line figure its meaningless.

Hot dry weather is not the best for good nectar flow. That is warm and very humid. Too hot and the nectar evaporates and the same with wind.

Not my best year by a long chalk. Too dry. Cattle being fed in sheds in June!

PH

My first three season i managed around 17lb of honey from angry mongrels..this year i got in excess of 150lb from three colonies most of which came from one colony with a KB F1 Queen.. i know the weather played a good part in this but the quality of Queens also played a big part.. i got hardly any from a Romanian F1 Queen and two supers worth from a F2 KB Queen...all these hives where in the same location but the quality of the KB F1 Queen out matched the others big time..

1000%... next season it will be down by 700% !!!

Media, despite degrees in English literature, seem to be innumerate, can not spell and generally inaccurate... do not believe them!!!

Native bees totally whitewashed the yellow stripies... in the dry weather period the yellow perils ate all the stores!!!

More nonsense from the media IMOHO!

Chons da

No doubt but what I am saying is in general true. Hot dry weather is not the best.

My monster crop was during very muggy weather actually outside the tropics the most uncomfortable weather I have known.

Your instance may have been due to deep rooted plants? Certainly, around here it just dried off totally. No grass in the fields, the lawn needed cut once in 8 weeks and so on and so on....

PH

I agree.
There is a lot of clay here and Brambles are deep rooted.
I have never seen nectar coming in so fast.

Clay and LOTS of chestnut,lime hawthorn here.

Matched my previous best but with spring instead of summer honey.

Just happened to catch the dreadful BBC 'Breakfast' show and saw a feature with a beek in attendance, which told the public that bees are in serious trouble!

My pedigree Buckies certainly didn't seem in trouble this year, filling supers both spring and summer and trebling the (good) crop we had last year.
S

Finn must be asleep, I'd have thought he'd have been here telling us how **** UK honey yields are lol.

Even taking into account that I have far more hives this year than last, my crop was up by nearly 400%, no sooner had I put my wet supers back on they were filled again. My jar requirement prediction was way off, and I had to place two further orders to fulfil my needs.

All that despite the dryness of the summer.

I have been able to reinvest by way of more equipment for next year, and have a busy winter ahead building and painting new hives, frames etc.

Was it yield per hive or total yield? Not always the same.

"Finn must be asleep, I'd have thought he'd have been here telling us how **** UK honey yields are lol."

well he may well be correct if you go by the (official) bbka figures from surveys

Latest posts

Back