honey yields up 33%

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:yeahthat: I think a bit like the winter loss survey, always wondered why none asked the cause/reason bfa losses and bbka losses never even in same field

I think the 'official' BBKA figures are more down to Sh!t beekeepers rather than sh!t yields

Well BBKA membership was c 14,500 in 2009 and it's now 24,000 so 20% of the members have under 5 years' experience and many no doubt have been taught to use matchsticks....:paparazzi:

Well BBKA membership was c 14,500 in 2009 and it's now 24,000 so 20% of the members have under 5 years' experience and many no doubt have been taught to use matchsticks....:paparazzi:

I think there was a wbka article discussing association membership turnover that suggested as much as 30% were first and 2nd year beekeepers. The recent DEFRA survey on beekeeping practices had 47% of respondents at 1st or 2nd year. Its probably safe to assume similar figures for colony losses survey's and average yields.
A little scary to think that defra have used the answers provided by these beginners to guide future policy.
Not so bad with average yield figures, they just make me feel good about my bees/beekeeping.

1000%... next season it will be down by 700% !!!

Media, despite degrees in English literature, seem to be innumerate, can not spell and generally inaccurate... do not believe them!!!

Native bees totally whitewashed the yellow stripies... in the dry weather period the yellow perils ate all the stores!!!

More nonsense from the media IMOHO!

Chons da

It would be nice if they had some education in the use of the English language, but even in the better papers the grammar is atrocious.

It always amazes me some of the things new beeks are being told, so no wonder they have poor yield/high losses.
I have met more than a few who lost most of their bees over winter and had poor crops this year. When questioned they often come out with a load of codswallop..... such as "I bought my bees from X and he told me they are hygienic and bite the mites off so I didn't treat" , another told me he had bought his bees from Y and was told they are " locally adapted so they won't need feeding"!!

I guess the only good thing is that after a few years, good (well mostly)beekeepers have found their way and can see through the cack they have been told.
S

It always amazes me some of the things new beeks are being told, so no wonder they have poor yield/high losses.
I have met more than a few who lost most of their bees over winter and had poor crops this year. When questioned they often come out with a load of codswallop..... such as "I bought my bees from X and he told me they are hygienic and bite the mites off so I didn't treat" , another told me he had bought his bees from Y and was told they are " locally adapted so they won't need feeding"!!

I guess the only good thing is that after a few years, good (well mostly)beekeepers have found their way and can see through the cack they have been told.
S

Well I have mentored 2 newbies last year and 5 this year.. None had done any real research before buying bees and until I helped them treat for varroa, none had any intention of treating or idea how to do it.. Which is really scary to me...

Well I have mentored 2 newbies last year and 5 this year.. None had done any real research before buying bees and until I helped them treat for varroa, none had any intention of treating or idea how to do it.. Which is really scary to me...

And social media pages are full of new beekeepers who “ want to be gentle with the bees, keep them naturally and not treat” ........makes me mad.

And social media pages are full of new beekeepers who “ want to be gentle with the bees, keep them naturally and not treat” ........makes me mad.

That's just one side of the social media scene. The other is filled with awesome, amazing videos of people showing off their open feeding syrup methods.

Latest posts

Back