frame numbers vs honey yield

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You obviously get more honey per frame and more per full box. And yes, if you want to argue - which you seem to want to do - there might be a part-filled super that is less-full as a result OR you might have, say, three full supers and not quite as much additional honey in the brood box once the supers have been removed.

You obviously get more honey per frame and more per full box. And yes, if you want to argue - which you seem to want to do - there might be a part-filled super that is less-full as a result OR you might have, say, three full supers and not quite as much additional honey in the brood box once the supers have been removed.
Thanks for clearing that up.

I work by whittling my super frames down to 9.
this greatly increases the honey yield.
harvesting honey for over thirty years has been practical proof !
I can’t believe I’ve missed a trick here. So if I reduce my 11 frames to 9 I’ll get more honey in my buckets.

Like for like with fully capped drawn out frames, it is logical that less frames will indeed mean greater yield per super. The volume taken up by the timber being replace by wider drawn existing frames meaning deeper cells and more nectar/honey storage.

so how much more honey per hive do you get - compared to someone using ten frames
All those commercial beeks using eleven frames per hive must be kicking themselves that they didn't come to you for advice when they started

harvesting honey for over thirty years has been practical proof !
Yes I choose the fattest frame in a super fit wide spacers to it then remove one of to remainder .
this way I end up with supers each having 9 frames .
think about it there maybe only 9 supers but each frame is heavier than the frame in a 12 frame super .
this year I took 3 supers off a hive , uncapped and filtered and bottled 79 1 Lb jars .not bad from a hive I had split earlier .

so how much more honey per hive do you get - compared to someone using ten frames
All those commercial beeks using eleven frames per hive must be kicking themselves that they didn't come to you for advice when they started
I run a mix of 9 and 10 frames. Only difference I see in full boxes is the 'fatness' of the combs. I guess you could argue that the 10 frame box has one more bee space in it than a 9 but that extra volume in the 9 must only add up to a minimal amount?

I largely use 9 per super - my extractor takes 9 frames so it makes the process a bit simpler. I found with nine the yield is better than with eleven.
“The start” as alluded to by Jenks, quoted above.
I was clearly referring to a single super box. Jenks keeps extrapolating it to “per hive”- Not what I was saying at all.

Latest posts

Back