frame numbers vs honey yield

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David1976

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
My supers are all currently nationals with 11 sn frames per box and i have had these for the past few seasons.

Next season, im looking to maximise my output where possible, im looking at the following options

1. 10 sn frames
2. 9 sn frames
3. 10 manley frames

Out of interest, from personal experience has anyone noticed greater yields with different frame setups? And, if so, was it worthwhile?

greater yields with different frame setups
4-4.5lbs per SN frame on 9-frame castellations was not unusual, but I went over to Manleys because they don't rattle around in transport, and I can either extract, sell complete (side bars protect on the way home) or cut for smaller comb packs.

Save money by using unwired foundation; I use only cut-comb unwired; extract gently the first time.

As I hate uncapping it's 9 in a National and 8 in a WBC for me. It also means that you can scale up a little without buying any more frames - just the supers.
Oh, and the castellations.

Reactions: mbc
I largely use 9 per super - my extractor takes 9 frames so it makes the process a bit simpler. I found with nine the yield is better than with eleven.

I largely use 9 per super - my extractor takes 9 frames so it makes the process a bit simpler. I found with nine the yield is better than with eleven.
I use 9 too for similar reasons. It's obvious that with less woodwork in the box, the bees pack more honey into the space as the spacings between frames are just the same.

I use 9 too for similar reasons. It's obvious that with less woodwork in the box, the bees pack more honey into the space as the spacings between frames are just the same.
Yes, that’s what I’ve found - the foundation is drawn out wider to create the normal bee space between the frames and with only nine there is less foundation midrib and less wax capping to remove, thus less wastage of honey when extracting.

Yes i get between 27 to 32 pounds for a national super with 10 frames each super fills 10l bucket

Anything less than ten frames in a national box and your increasing the probability of breaking the lugs quite drastically.
Ten is the ideal.
I've tried aĺl sorts over the years, now settled on commercial supers with manley frames for spun frames and national manley for cut comb, still have thousands of SN4 in the system which are gradually being replaced. It's the castleations that are a pain, literally, as I keep cutting my fingers on them.
Also we have twenty frame extractors, odd numbers wouldn't work.

I find that, regardless of how many frames the extractor holds, it only becomes a (minor) problem when you get to the last box

Anything less than ten frames in a national box and your increasing the probability of breaking the lugs quite drastically.
Ten is the ideal.
I've tried aĺl sorts over the years, now settled on commercial supers with manley frames for spun frames and national manley for cut comb, still have thousands of SN4 in the system which are gradually being replaced. It's the castleations that are a pain, literally, as I keep cutting my fingers on them.
What do you do to cut your fingers on castellations? I've used them in supers and brood boxes for the last 7 years without a single cut and I use nitrile gloves.

Another consideration for better yield is use drone foundation, bigger cells, less wax, more honey. I do this in my Langstroth hives.

What do you do to cut your fingers on castellations? I've used them in supers and brood boxes for the last 7 years without a single cut and I use nitrile gloves.
Psoritic arthritis is taking its toll slowly, biggest issue is loss of feeling, I'm lethal with knife, I always have cuts on hands as becoming ever more clumsy.

Psoritic arthritis is taking its toll slowly, biggest issue is loss of feeling, I'm lethal with knife, I always have cuts on hands as becoming ever more clumsy.
Sorry to hear that. I have recieved burns on my middle fingers due to loss of feeling caused by carpal tunnel issues. Loss of touch is frustrating and painful!.

Edit...........Just read that last sentence and it makes no sense..... lack of feeling is unlikely to be painful but it is no fun to find you have an enormous blister on the end of your finger!

Last edited:
I personally use 11 frames BN when undrawn and only 10 frames when drawn. I haven't found much difference in yield but for me the difference is during uncapping. With 11 frames I mostly need to use a fork but with 10 a knife which is quicker and easier.

I’ve short chubby fingers and large palms. Not a great combination for being a pianist or playing with castellations! Got injured several times so got rid of castellated runners and now suffer less.

Latest posts

Back