Honey selling

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
recommended price by the London BKA is £1 per oz, so that is £16 per lb in central london

I cannot achieve that price in outer London suburbs but £10 per lb is the lowest i have seen honey sold at the door and shops £13 or 14 per lb

No wonder people from London who stay in holiday cottages in our wonderful countryside buy 12jars of honey from me at a time!!!!!!
E

Noooo!

If the UK was a pond, London beekeepers are throwing into that pond a large pebble; the ripples will eventually spread everywhere.
PS: ten years ago local London honey was selling at about £3-4/lb.

I’ll have to disagree there.
Honey has sold for £5 around here for years and years as there ain’t no ripple that’s gonna get here.

....and we must understand

There's London

And then there's the real world

yep a 3 bedroom house can cost you £1,000,000, it is not the real world, i just wonder if covid19 and working from home will stop the house price stupidity.

i think one reason why London honey prices are high is the little amount of honey central London colonies produce This is due to lack and forage caused by business putting too many hive on office roofs in order to be green

...we reckon it is one hive every 500yds in central areas, produce perhaps a super of honey...concrete and tarmac and neatly groom parks don't yield much and bees starve

If honey was made by Carlsberg, it would probably be the best honey in the world.

Sell the story, not the product.... that's where the value lies.
Ignore what everyone else is doing and their prices, differentiate your product then you can achieve a higher value.

You must however maintain the highest levels of quality and customer service otherwise you will fail in your endeavours.

Level 2 food hygiene manufacturing was acceptable to my local council.
Check with them first.

We had an inspection from the local council. We extract and jar up honey in the kitchen so nothing very elaborate. You should be able to demonstrate two sinks for washing hands and equipment and that you clean surfaces etc before jarring. We got 5 stars which was a bit of a surprise but then Mrs R is always very liberal with the bleach.

The inspector will give you a list of things that must/should be improved or followed. Best to keep them happy!

I’ll have to disagree there.
Honey has sold for £5 around here for years and years as there ain’t no ripple that’s gonna get here.

The price for honey is definitely down to locality.
Talking of landscaping I could get 40,000 + down nr london... Locally your lucky to get 30,000..

Tesco's cheapest 340g bottle is £1.80, Rowse's organic £3.30. They're there on the shelf, for you to put in your basket. Supermarkets always sell decent stuff, or they'd go out of business, wouldn't they?
The Royal Horticultural Society sells honey that, from the name on the front clearly comes from a cottage supplier.
How many customers are going to look at the small print on the back, to see that it's the product of EU and non-EU countries?
Clearly these so-called beekeepers with their twee labels, charging £5+ for a 340g jar of what they claim is local honey are just rip-off merchants.

If honey was made by Carlsberg, it would probably be the best honey in the world.

Sell the story, not the product.... that's where the value lies.
Ignore what everyone else is doing and their prices, differentiate your product then you can achieve a higher value.

You must however maintain the highest levels of quality and customer service otherwise you will fail in your endeavours.
:winner1st::iagree::iagree::iagree:
The best honey in the world is made by our Cornish Amm in the GreatgreygreenslimeyTamarrivervalleyallsetaboutwithcovidiotsavoidingLondonintheirsecondhomes!!!
IMOHO!!:iagree:

Yeghes da

:winner1st::iagree::iagree::iagree:
The best honey in the world is made by our Cornish Amm in the GreatgreygreenslimeyTamarrivervalleyallsetaboutwithcovidiotsavoidingLondonintheirsecondhomes!!!
IMOHO!!:iagree:

Yeghes da

I disagree the best honey is made by southshropshire amms :owned:

Can I just be clear here Eric. You are selling your honey at £14 for 1 lb of honey? Wow

Yes, but not in 1lb jars (that way madness lies).

It's easy to dismiss Londoners as loadsamoneys in Range Rovers; reality is that we see all sorts of ordinary people on ordinary incomes; what differentiates them is that they've decided to buy quality and locality over price. That ought to be a universal message, and if it isn't, it could be eventually if you and I promote it.

Take George: he's a security guard at Dalston Shopping Mall; used to come to the market; since C19 he phones his order and my daughter delivers to him at work. Yesterday he asked for 15 x 12oz jars for him and his extended family. Why would he do that when Sainsbury's is ten yards away on his patch? Clearly he engages with an authentic product, perhaps memories of his Jamaican roots have an influence, perhaps the family all suffer from hay fever?

Whatever his reasons, how much do you reckon a shopping centre security guard earns?

A question for all and I hope I'm not over thinking it..
I've one full super of last years summer cut comb and I want to make some chunk honey up in 340g jars how much chunk should I be putting in the jars.

A question for all and I hope I'm not over thinking it..
I've one full super of last years summer cut comb and I want to make some chunk honey up in 340g jars how much chunk should I be putting in the jars.

It looks nicest if you fill the jar. ie as large a piece as you can get in and make it to order. Chunk honey that has started to crystallise looks horrid.

It looks nicest if you fill the jar. ie as large a piece as you can get in and make it to order. Chunk honey that has started to crystallise looks horrid.

What about the weight.. If I put a huge peace of chunk in the jar say 100g when I top up with runny honey the weight will be more.
I've a few orders of chunk honey from locals.
Some have asked for complete frames. How much could I charge for a frame??
I only used a small 1cm starter strip

What about the weight.. If I put a huge peace of chunk in the jar say 100g when I top up with runny honey the weight will be more.

The weight by volume would actually be less as the density of the wax is less than honey but you will top up the jars to the correct weight anyway so don't worry about it.

The weight by volume would actually be less as the density of the wax is less than honey but you will top up the jars to the correct weight anyway so don't worry about it.
What about complete frame Neil? How much should I charge.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

Here is part of an advert - note its all in the packaging .........

Honey Comb in Wooden Frame
£50.00
Availability:................
Weight: 2.23 kg
UK Delivery / Shipping Costs / Times

3-5 Working Days - £5.95 (UK Mainland)

Full shipping information available here.

Here is part of an advert - note its all in the packaging .........

Honey Comb in Wooden Frame
£50.00
Availability:................
Weight: 2.23 kg
UK Delivery / Shipping Costs / Times

3-5 Working Days - £5.95 (UK Mainland)

Full shipping information available here.

Blimey I don't know if they would buy one frame for that.
Where's that coming from Murox??

Back