Honey selling

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curly green finger's

If you think you know all, you actually know nowt!
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
30+
Hi, looks like its going to be a good season for me selling honey, what are the laws for me to sell honey using my labels, but buying from local beekeepers / bee farmers etc.

It's not a problem for the supermarkets or big manufactures, can't see why it would be a problem for you?
As long as you stick to the labelling guidlines.

It's not a problem for the supermarkets or big manufactures, can't see why it would be a problem for you?
As long as you stick to the labelling guidlines.

What would be the labeling guidelines?? What I've already done on my own labels?
Or would they need changing?
This is all just a thought but no I'm not going to be able to keep up supply with this year with my current amount of hives.
Im already looking into more colonys for next year buying in nucs, queen's as well as breeding my own stock, but even then I would need 200 colonys to sustain supply next year.
Most of the outlets that want honey struggle to keep up the supply from beekeepers locally maybe if they stopped selling 1lb jars for £5 that would help.

Personally I would never sell someone else's honey under my label.
I would design another one saying from local suppliers!
E

Hi, looks like its going to be a good season for me selling honey, what are the laws for me to sell honey using my labels, but buying from local beekeepers / bee farmers etc.

Don't see why there should be any problem, provided you are buying in bulk and doing your own jar filling. You should also get a food health certificate.

Sorry Enrico but that's rubbish. When I was commercial every bee farmer I knew bought in honey. One outfit didn't keep bees but went round buying from small suppliers and selling on.

PH

Your jar says South Shropshire Honey; if I bought your honey then that's where I would expect the honey to originate from. If its produced neighbouring counties such Hereford, Worcester or North Shropshire or further afield then the label is misleading.

What would be the labeling guidelines?? What I've already done on my own labels?
Or would they need changing?
This is all just a thought but no I'm not going to be able to keep up supply with this year with my current amount of hives.
Im already looking into more colonys for next year buying in nucs, queen's as well as breeding my own stock, but even then I would need 200 colonys to sustain supply next year.
Most of the outlets that want honey struggle to keep up the supply from beekeepers locally maybe if they stopped selling 1lb jars for £5 that would help.

What the product is.
Country of origin.
Your address.
Weight.
Lot No.
Best before date.

If I have missed something, someone fill it in please!

You can find it all on line. Government website. Must have weight displayed in grams, must have the address of the seller. Phone number optional. Must state if it’s comb, extracted, blossom honey, heather, basically what type of honey is it. Batch or lot number if your selling via a 3rd party but If you sell direct you don’t need that (well In scotland anyway) most put batch or lot no on just to keep it simple.

Sorry Enrico but that's rubbish. When I was commercial every bee farmer I knew bought in honey. One outfit didn't keep bees but went round buying from small suppliers and selling on.

PH

I am not saying he can't do it. All I am saying is THAT I WOULD NOT DO IT. How can you call my own personal feelings for the way I sell my honey as rubbish!
Bit put out by that comment
E

I thought you were selling nucs and full colonies a couple of days ago.

I still will be selling nucs, the full colonys are going to be split and have mated queen's shortly,
I also want to keep adding fresh queen's to my stock from bought in queen's to overwinter.
My own breeder queen's this season will need changing..
Paul I wasn't expecting to have so much interest in my honey, and the amount of production colonys I have I thought was enough.

I've only sold half of my nucs and kept half for the Heather which isn't looking good.
I hope this has answered your question?

Set aside something to keep HM revenue happy... as you seem to have cracked the code for making £££millions out of keeping bees!!!
:winner1st::winner1st::winner1st::winner1st::winner1st::winner1st::winner1st::winner1st::winner1st::winner1st::winner1st::winner1st::winner1st::winner1st::winner1st::winner1st::winner1st::winner1st::winner1st::winner1st::winner1st::winner1st::winner1st::winner1st::winner1st::winner1st::winner1st::winner1st:
Chons da

Food hygiene certificate

What level would be required please for pacjaging and selling honey?

1, 2 or 3

Level 2 food hygiene manufacturing was acceptable to my local council.
Check with them first.

Level 2 food hygiene manufacturing was acceptable to my local council.
Check with them first.

It’s a simple on line form/multiple choice questions.

Yes I also have level 2 food manufacturing.
If you keep meeting the demand your price will need to reflect that. I sale mine slightly more expensive because it is in short supply and high demand....I do it that way because its simply a lot of work for not much profit.

Back