Honey price

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At my local BBKA honey show recently there were comments about some local small scale beefarmers charging £5.95 for a 12oz jar and saying that the 'right' price was £4.50-£4.75 for a lb jar.

One assumes they'd noticed that those local small scale beefarmers weren't selling anything then?

James

On the contrary, honey at a higher price often out-sells the lower.
I think their comments about the prices achieved by more commercially savvy sellers are a mix of jealousy, obstinacy and wanting to live in the past. They moan about the local accepted/ceiling retail price increasing to ~£6 per jar (for both 340 and 454g, up from £5 two years ago) but don't increase their wholesale price or use 340g jars rather than 454g.

On the contrary, honey at a higher price often out-sells the lower.

I certainly agree. My comment was intended to be somewhat ironic. I do wonder if there are people around here who are basically selling at "immediate" cost, or even below it, and think that's a reasonable price.

James

I certainly agree. My comment was intended to be somewhat ironic. I do wonder if there are people around here who are basically selling at "immediate" cost, or even below it, and think that's a reasonable price.

James
certainly in the past but they won't admit to it now :)

I've just got back from a local event and was shocked at the price another beek was selling for:
View attachment 33955
His candles were cheap too.

I've been selling at £5/£9 for 8oz/1lb on Facebook marketplace and have just about sold out - I was almost tempted to buy some for re-sale... almost.

I've just got back from a local event and was shocked at the price another beek was selling for:
View attachment 33955

I've been selling at £5/£9 for 8oz/1lb on Facebook marketplace and have just about sold out - I was almost tempted to buy some for re-sale... almost.
I’ve removed the chaps name. Only fair
B57EBE49-C035-4CB3-BD36-A7F391ADD784.jpeg

View attachment 33955

Well done. I advertised on Facebook marketplace 8 weeks ago but not had a single enquiry. But other local beekeepers are also advertising for £5/12oz and £5.50/1lb.

Just had a look on Facebook marketplace. Didn't realise that ( in North Staffordshire) there are such vast swathes of organic certified land capable of sustaining such a thriving honey industry 🙄
£5 a lb would be a ballpark figure. I would be better served using my storage for coal 😁

Just had a look on Facebook marketplace. Didn't realise that ( in North Staffordshire) there are such vast swathes of organic certified land capable of sustaining such a thriving honey industry 🙄
£5 a lb would be a ballpark figure. I would be better served using my storage for coal 😁
That's so annoying!!!!
Report them to TS

That's so annoying!!!!
Report them to TS
Ahhh.... Well my missus works on the same floor as TS. She has mentioned previously about labelling 'anomalies', however, since the recent cuts there's only a stapler and worn chair left so they haven't got the resources spare....

My jars weren't specifically for standard honey weights, so I filled them to the top and I'm "giving" buyers an extra half-ounce. :)

20220927_133941.jpg

Beebe
Sorry to be pedantic but shouldn't there be a gap between the numerical value and the weight symbol e.g 380 g not 380g

With the amber colour and all those bubbles the jars presumably contains Ling heather.

Beebe
Sorry to be pedantic but shouldn't there be a gap between the numerical value and the weight symbol e.g 380 g not 380g

With the amber colour and all those bubbles the jars presumably contains Ling heather.

I can easily edit the label as it is just part of an experimental batch of a dozen jars and I print off Avery labels in batches of ten. If I was being pedantic, perhaps the "oz" should also be separated from the digits by a space and the half expressed as a fraction.
I'm fairly sure that there must be a convention that weights are described as I have done. For example I have checked jars of hot-dog sausages,
peanut butter and commercial honey; I haven't found any with a spaced-out "g". ;)

Beebe

I can't find any regulations regarding the space, but the recent article in BBKA News said there should not be a space between the weight and the unit.
1664400384572.png

Sorry if I got it wrong.
However in
The Weights and Measures (Packaged Goods) Regulations 2006
they include a gap so maybe they don't read their own regs!
see below

Nominal quantity and unit of measurement Minimum height of words or figures
exceeding 1 kg 6 mm
exceeding 200 g but not exceeding 1 kg 4 mm
exceeding 50 g but not exceeding 200 g 3 mm

Latest posts

Back