Honey price

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with much of the comment on honey prices. Why don't we value our products more? We take such care with it, then some oil us charge the same as for supermarket junk.
It's an artisanal product and people should expect to pay more for the care we put in and the quality of our product.

Beebe
Sorry to be pedantic but shouldn't there be a gap between the numerical value and the weight symbol e.g 380 g not 380g

With the amber colour and all those bubbles the jars presumably contains Ling heather.
After 35 years as a research scientist in biochemistry I can assure you that 380g is the norm and is correct in all scientific journals.

My understanding of correct English is 200g with no gap as the g is an abbreviation. When using the full word, there should be a gap, 200 grams.

Beebe
Sorry to be pedantic but shouldn't there be a gap between the numerical value and the weight symbol e.g 380 g not 380g

With the amber colour and all those bubbles the jars presumably contains Ling heather.

PS. Yes, I had a heck of a struggle getting it out of the comb and I have different management plans for next year. It's not pure heather but there's a good percentage of it. Reaching back towards the original subject of this thread, when you see your jar of honey looking as good as it does in reality and, ignoring your own outlays, you weigh up the time and care that's gone into it, I feel that @Curly green finger's is right....I would rather hang on to it than let it go at a fiver a pound.

Actually, I'm tending to do that anyway; as a fairly new "honey producer" (if I may say so, I'm begnning to feel like an established beekeeper ;) ), most of my output seems to be heading out as freebies to family, friends, friends of friends "who love honey" .

The honeymoon pertiod will have to end soon and even the family will find supplies being metered. :)

My concern is the current crisis, will people start cutting back on luxury items?
Will start Steve ? I work with a lot of reasonably paid people who have already found their disposable income has disappeared and they are ALREADY cutting back on luxury items .. indeed, a lot of them are cutting back on how and where they purchase ESSENTIAL items...

Yes, that's why I put it out there, as honey is very much a luxury rather than essential. I doubt very much that this current catastrophe is going to end for years. Certainly something to think about.

If we are still around.

Yes there’s that. We live in perilous times.
You lot in West Wales will be alright ...Putin is unlikely to nuke you down there ... however, down here on the Costa del Fareham I'm in the fall out radius if he bombs London and if he does he'll probably drop one on Portsmouth to make sure our Navy (what there is left of it) is knocked out and that will be within evaporation range for me and my bees !!

Ive been totally shocked as this is my first year. I was selling pound jars at £6 and a £5 to friends. But as I took my 2nd summer harvest.. I decided on the same shrink flation tactic as the big brands and it’s worked. I’m nearly out of Honey and sold 8oz hex jars at £4.50 a pop.. which there are know complaints about.

Shrinkflation folks the cost of living ain’t getting cheaper.,

I agree with much of the comment on honey prices. Why don't we value our products more? We take such care with it, then some oil us charge the same as for supermarket junk.
It's an artisanal product and people should expect to pay more for the care we put in and the quality of our product.
Agreed

Latest posts

Back