honey price update

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum and have been reading through these posts. I see the same type of comments repeatedly and I know it's the same where I am too. Each year I put my honey prices up a little bit, just to keep ahead and thankfully my regulars still come back. I work on the basis that when sales slow down I'll look at my pricing but so far I sell out and wish I'd had more to sell! We all know it's never guaranteed and we really do have to 'make honey while the sun shines' :)

This year, depending on type of honey (summer/moorland/chunk/cutcomb) etc.) I sold my 8oz jars/packs at between £5 and £8; 12oz jars were £7 - £8.50; 1lb jars £8 - £12.50
There are beekeepers near me selling 12 oz jars for £5 a jar, and one selling lb jars for £5!

I don't sell to local shops or advertise; I sell from my doorstep, at shows and local craft/seasonal fairs. I also do educational talks and take a honey tasting kit along, with my own honeys (available to purchase on the evening) and a jar of 'cheap and nasty' [insert supermarket brand here] honey as a comparison. I try to educate people about the wonderful flavours, aromas, health benefits etc. of 'proper' honey and encourage them to support their local beekeepers. So many think supermarket stuff is the real thing and that's a shame. There is the current BBKA petition to get the Govt to look at the issue of UK honey labelling, and how imported honey from countries where honey adulteration happens on 'an industrial scale' gives an unfair advantage over UK honey producers but it has only reached 7,000+ signatures so far.

Sorry! I wasn't going to write much and I've gone a bit off topic, so I'll stop now.

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum and have been reading through these posts. I see the same type of comments repeatedly and I know it's the same where I am too. Each year I put my honey prices up a little bit, just to keep ahead and thankfully my regulars still come back. I work on the basis that when sales slow down I'll look at my pricing but so far I sell out and wish I'd had more to sell! We all know it's never guaranteed and we really do have to 'make honey while the sun shines' :)

This year, depending on type of honey (summer/moorland/chunk/cutcomb) etc.) I sold my 8oz jars/packs at between £5 and £8; 12oz jars were £7 - £8.50; 1lb jars £8 - £12.50
There are beekeepers near me selling 12 oz jars for £5 a jar, and one selling lb jars for £5!

I don't sell to local shops or advertise; I sell from my doorstep, at shows and local craft/seasonal fairs. I also do educational talks and take a honey tasting kit along, with my own honeys (available to purchase on the evening) and a jar of 'cheap and nasty' [insert supermarket brand here] honey as a comparison. I try to educate people about the wonderful flavours, aromas, health benefits etc. of 'proper' honey and encourage them to support their local beekeepers. So many think supermarket stuff is the real thing and that's a shame. There is the current BBKA petition to get the Govt to look at the issue of UK honey labelling, and how imported honey from countries where honey adulteration happens on 'an industrial scale' gives an unfair advantage over UK honey producers but it has only reached 7,000+ signatures so far.

Sorry! I wasn't going to write much and I've gone a bit off topic, so I'll stop now.
Welcome to the forum. The secret is, as you say, to know your market and what they are prepared to spend!

I think my sales have slowed generally this year from off my shelf outside the house but I’m finding quite a few regulars are buying 10 or 20 jars at a time.
I’m not really worried as last year I was over 2 months without any honey to sell so a slow down should mean my supply lasts until the next harvest.

Lovely to see replies. Gut instict, told me that it was not just us noticing a change. Also, our wholesale shops are not asking for as many jars. I suspect they've found cheaper suppliers.
Oakbecbees, please don't appologise for a detailed response. I like your idea of a honey taste comparision.
We're in the East Sussex and sell our honey at 8oz £4.50 and 12oz for £7.50. We briefly considered lowering prices, but it's a fair price.

Welcome to the forum. The secret is, as you say, to know your market and what they are prepared to spend!
Ya i live in an area of peaple flying helicopters to our local pub for lunches. Roles royce bentleys etc common sight. honey price retail 12 ounce £5.50 to £8.50.. yes it does not make sense

I think my sales have slowed generally this year from off my shelf outside the house but I’m finding quite a few regulars are buying 10 or 20 jars at a time.
I’m not really worried as last year I was over 2 months without any honey to sell so a slow down should mean my supply lasts until the next harvest.
Good regulars are worth their weight in... honey?!! :)

Latest posts

Back