honey price update

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
talking to a chap in the pub last night down from one of the home counties....

he was saying he wouldn't pay prices of one of our local well known independent retail outlets down here and back at home, he up there, he gets a good deal and pays £15 per 340g jar

need to re-consider our pricing!

Our local association is now selling honey at shows for £8 a pound jar
I think an 8 oz jar is £4.50.

It's been discussed many times on here - there are so many factors affecting the price we can achieve for locally produced honey that it is impossible to make much sense of it. The answer is always straight out of the Noddy book of Marketing - the price of your product should be what the market can stand. Set your price too high and it won't sell, or at least you won't sell as much as you could .. set it too low and you are missing out on some profit and you distress the price locally.

Sadly, a lot of hobby (and some small scale beefarmers) set the price too low and it creates a KVI (Known Value Item) that has a detrimental effect on what the market will bear.

I look at the quality and appearance of the honey I sell and set a price slightly above the KVI for local honey where I am ...it's less than I think it is worth but more than most of the hundreds of beekeepers in a local radius sell theirs for.

Local associations sometimes seem lost in a time warp - recommending prices that have not risen in line with inflation over the years, I still see local honey in shops around me selling at £5 a pound jar ....it doesn't help.

With everything going up in price , now is the time people expect price increases any way. Perfect timing for honey price increases 🤓

£6 per pound sets b u m s twitching around here , where they know how many blue beads make five !

Another indication of local honey prices. How much can beekeepers sell their honey for at the county show. ?
Lincolnshire Show 22nd/23rd June 2022 (The association will apply a markup. Don't know what that is yet.)
LincsShowPrices.jpg

And here I was hoping to sell my 8oz jars for no less than £7. Guess I'm dreaming.

Looks like I'll be eating my own honey all year :p

And here I was hoping to sell my 8oz jars for no less than £7. Guess I'm dreaming.

Who knows ? Put your price out there and see what happens ... if you get an adverse reaction you can always reduce the price ...it's a lot easier to come down in price than it is to go up. You only need a few regular, discerning, customers to buy your honey and tell their friends how good it is ... and you will be surprised at how well it sells.

Depends where you live and what your market is. I price 227g at £5 at the door/gate - local shop outlet sells it for £7.50 and last year sold out completely by september - maybe I should increase my price ? I probably won't as its easier to collect a five pound note than odd pound coins.

Another indication of local honey prices. ... Lincolnshire Show 22nd/23rd June 2022
Out of interest, do you have any historical price info for the same show, even if just for the previous year (may of been 2019 I guess?) - I wonder if inflation/costs are being factored in - either way, will be good to check-in for next years pricings 🤔

EDIT - Answering my own post, never good ;) After a bit of googling, but I can't find 2020 or 2021 info...

2018 & 2019 pricings:
1lb jar Flower honey £4.80
1lb jar Heather honey £5.90
12oz. jar £3.80
8oz. jar £2.45
4oz. jar £2.10
Sections £7.40
Cut comb £5.00

2017 pricings:
1lb jar Flower honey £4.40
1lb jar Heather honey £5.50
12oz. jar £3.50