honey labels

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ergo, it needs a postal address.

Err no, it's a sale to a member of an association who knows the point of origin, it is not a retail sale for commercial gain. Trading standards law does not apply to transactions between members of an association. If the member then sells the homey in a retail or wholesale action it is the responsibillity of that individual to comply with regs. The same applies to the surplus eggs on our allotments where we sell them. It is a transaction between members of an association not a retail sale. The clue is in the name trading standards.

Then I would look closely at the Honey Regs. Sale or no sale, the Regs apply in the UK as it is honey for consumption.

By the way, there is no need for a postal address - the honey must be traceable, that could mean, third bungalow past the post box on the right, or whatever (if you're bold enough).

My advice would be to not take food legislation lightly, allotment society, gate sales, distribution, etc.

I agree, there are exemptions but net weight in grams needs to be displayed " in view" unless a garden gate sale when it can just be displayed at the "gate"

Their local trading standards officer would have a field day with a sale from an allotment shed

Shirley your BKA has advised you of the regulations, we have a beginners day set aside just for labelling and hygiene rules

no. so long as both parties understand the amount being sold and agree upon it then there is no problem, 6 tomatoes, half a dozen tomatoes, a half pound of tomatoes 238 kg tomatoes or a bucket of tomatoes they are tomatoes being sold at an agreed amount. Tso's are based on trade/commercial sales I would worry more about the food standards agency's rules

Oh. I don't think sp I cannot return a faulty jar to an email address.

The regs say the producer must be contactable, and therefore you need "contact information" on the label. No mention of address for returns. If you had a problem you could email them and get the return address.

I dont think the contact information is necessarily for the consumer - more for the authorities if a batch of food was found to have an issue (like shards of glass), they would contact the producer about that batch and specifically who else you sold that batch to.

Ahh ... but no one has mentioned the use of the much abused word pure as in 'pure honey' ? So no pollen, wax particles or any of that jumbo 25kg bag of cane sugar got into the jar.

Ahh ... but no one has mentioned the use of the much abused word pure as in 'pure honey' ? So no pollen, wax particles or any of that jumbo 25kg bag of cane sugar got into the jar.

Simply not true.

Of course "pure honey" can contain pollen and wax particles. It can also contain some sugar syrup. It is "pure honey" as long as it passes the usual tests for water content, sucrose etc.

Indeed, in the US if "honey" has been filtered to the extent it no longer contains any pollen, it is no longer considered "honey"!

I dont know where that idea comes from? Maybe your understanding of the word "pure"?

Last edited:
What do you print them on? Laser?

Simply not true.

Of course "pure honey" can contain pollen and wax particles. It can also contain some sugar syrup. It is "pure honey" as long as it passes the usual tests for water content, sucrose etc.

Indeed, in the US if "honey" has been filtered to the extent it no longer contains any pollen, it is no longer considered "honey"!

I dont know where that idea comes from? Maybe your understanding of the word "pure"?

i agree with your comments about "pure" except your comments at the end of your post

currently the UK rule is that "Honey" is allowed to contain pollen and there is no requirement for an ingredient list of say: Honey, Pollen

if the honey does not contain pollen it must be labelled "Filtered Honey"

but EU regs are a nightmare following an EU court ruling that pollen is an ingrediant and must be declared: the UK has yet to publish its propsals for new rules on pollen

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2058190/EU-orders-pollen-warning-honey-jars.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardenin...-GM-pollen-is-not-an-ingredient-of-honey.html

but dont beleive everything you read in the papers :D

Last edited:
Sorry, I was not a suggesting that there was any mis-description in a labelling regulations context. It was really a tongue in cheek comment about what is regarded as ‘pure’ in the general marketing context. I like the definition of pure as being ‘free from anything of a different, inferior or contaminating kind’ In a honey context, I consider sugar inferior, so I do smile at the use of the term in a marketing sense.

but EU regs are a nightmare following an EU court ruling that pollen is an ingrediant and must be declared: the UK has yet to publish its propsals for new rules on pollen

Wasnt that all to do with GM crops? So if your honey contains pollen from a GM source, it falls within the GM regulations?

If that rule (listing pollens as an ingredient) I will eat my hat :)

We print these-
attachment.php

Probably fine for sales to other allotment soc members (where no label is required) but not at all OK for sales to the public.

One lulu is that the weight must be stated (and stated first) in metric units, and that must be in numbers at least 4mm high.

In view of recent thefts of hives in Britain I would not consider putting my address on a label to advertise the location of my hives. I guess it's different if you have an out apiary.

In view of recent thefts of hives in Britain I would not consider putting my address on a label to advertise the location of my hives. I guess it's different if you have an out apiary.

Far more likely to have hives vandalised or stolen at an out apiary. It's the law to have an identifier on labels that means you can be traced as the supplier.

Latest posts

Back