Honey Labelling.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malgreen

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
So likely this question has been asked before. Looks like I could end up with around 180 /200 8oz jars from my hive and reading up about raw honey can I use the word natural instead. My intention is to sell it at a local fete etc... as never knew I would end up with so much. Advice on correct labelling would be appreciated.

Here is some guidance BUT it doesn't apply if you are not a food business who is supplying an occasional event eg village fete. It's still good practice to follow the guidance IMO.

https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=43499&highlight=honey+label

1. Be specific. The word HONEY is required on your label.

2. All jars should have the net weight shown on the label in metric. Do not include the weight of the jar and lid. Don't rely on filling by eye. Always test your jar to be sure it is suitable for the capacity that you prefer to sell. Some jars can be larger or smaller than expected. Very few jars (excluding the 1lb and 1/2lb honey jars) are made specifically for honey and so you will find all capacities listed by ml on our website.

3. The minimum height of figures on the label must be as follows: <50g - 2mm; 50-200g - 3mm; 200g-1kg - 4mm; >1kg - 6mm

4. You can specify where your honey comes from, promoting your locality. For example, Kent Honey or Welsh Honey. This does not negate the requirement of having country of origin, which must be listed separately.

5. You can specify the type of honey, which crop it comes from so long as the honey contains at least 75% of that particular type. For example, Rape, Heather or Borage honey.

6. You must have your name and address on the label if you are selling your honey. So long as you can be found from the information, eg House Number and Post Code, the address does not need to be complete.

7. If you are selling honey through someone else, you must have a lot number and keep records relating to the batch from which the honey comes.

8. There must be a best before date on the jar. 2-5 years seems to be quite standard.

The honey labelling regulations are clear if you sell honey in a packaged format (i.e. In a jar or another container) it has to be labelled in accordance with the honey labelling regulations laid down ...

If there was a "Thanks" button I would have pushed it.

Walrus's reply is what we need more of on here. He \ She answered the OP clearly and I think accurately.

The OP is a recent new member and maybe a new beek and is looking for advice which I believe they received. So again "Thanks"

Here they are ... it's laid down in statute
.. there are no grey areas

You are here:
UK Statutory Instruments2015 No. 1348Table of content

Sorry to prolong the agony talking about regulations, but this link from the The Weights and Measures (Packaged Goods) Regulations 2006 is relevant. My reading of it is that ONLY the weight has a specific height requirement (e.g. exceeding 200 g but not exceeding 1 kg = 4 mm) so anything else on the label can have lettering of any size. If anybody knows are different regulations regarding size of text/font of the weight, let us all know.

CVB

Sorry to prolong the agony talking about regulations, but this link from the The Weights and Measures (Packaged Goods) Regulations 2006 is relevant. My reading of it is that ONLY the weight has a specific height requirement (e.g. exceeding 200 g but not exceeding 1 kg = 4 mm) so anything else on the label can have lettering of any size. If anybody knows are different regulations regarding size of text/font of the weight, let us all know.

CVB
Just to add that IF you put a weight in the old imperial ( ounces [oz] pounds[lbs] the lettering must be less pronounced than the regulation metric unit.
Nobody under the age of retirement uses imperial anyway... but Devon Trading Standards pulled a load of chutneys off the shelves from one {In}famous West Country store as they had incorrect ( only imperial) weights on the jars...however the store has a record of selling rugs and carpets {and everything else imaginable} by the yard!!!:calmdown:

:calmdown::calmdown::calmdown:

CVB

There is a minimum font size (1.2mm) for all the mandatory stuff which would be name, address, origin etc.
This is a good, clear guide
https://www.businesscompanion.info/en/quick-guides/food-and-drink/labelling-of-honey

Just to add that IF you put a weight in the old imperial ( ounces [oz] pounds[lbs] the lettering must be less pronounced than the regulation metric unit.

No, it can be the same, but it cannot be more pronounced

There is a minimum font size (1.2mm) for all the mandatory stuff which would be name, address, origin etc.
This is a good, clear guide
https://www.businesscompanion.info/en/quick-guides/food-and-drink/labelling-of-honey

That guide certainly states that the 1.2mm x height applies to ALL statutory information but I cannot find it in any of the regulations. Any idea where it is or is this an error in the quick-guide?

The reason I'm asking is that I foolishly offered to do a winter talk to our local bee group and I don't want to get caught out on a technicality.

CVB

Can anyone clarify if the following is true or not, I've been told by a fellow beek that you can't over fill a jar, i.e. if your label says 500g but the jar contains 550g of honey you've broken the regs/law.

It doesn't sound logical, sensible or reasonable to me but that doesn't mean it's not true.

If you are giving it away non of the regulations really apply to you. You can put whatever quantity you want in and say what you want in any font size on your labels...or don't bother having any with label.

I was told by trading standards that the logic is this. If two jars are on sale at the same price with the same contents and one is obviously fuller then it gives an "unfair advantage". *shrug* just saying...

PH

I was told by trading standards that the logic is this. If two jars are on sale at the same price with the same contents and one is obviously fuller then it gives an "unfair advantage". *shrug* just saying...

PH

At least my leg wasn't just being pulled. "Unfair advantage" was also mentioned but then I could sell a bigger jar for the same price, but as long as the weight is correctly stated I would be fine.

I wonder if anyone has actually been prosecuted or even warned about overweight jars?

Can anyone clarify if the following is true or not, I've been told by a fellow beek that you can't over fill a jar, i.e. if your label says 500g but the jar contains 550g of honey you've broken the regs/law.

It doesn't sound logical, sensible or reasonable to me but that doesn't mean it's not true.

It's not true - there is no regulation that says you cannot over fill, I think people always get confused with the stringent bread regulations the UK had - a law passed in 1266 and adhered rigidly to, apart from a few tweaks during the war until it was repealed in 2008

It's wasteful to overfill jars but it's important not to underfill as weights and measures will then check a large sample of stock and if underweight is consistently found the odds are that they will prosecute... they are always looking to make examples of people as this is the only way they have of publicising enforcement. Accurate digital scales (checked against a standard weight) and fill the jars to the stated weight.. no more - no less.

Weights and measures do attend all sorts of selling events and surreptitiously purchase products to check ... they will usually advise you who they are AFTER they have made a purchase....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back