Honey jars and labels

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psafloyd

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Probably about 5/6 at the moment
I know we have covered some of these before, but I can't find all of this in searching the site.

Jars. Is there any reason not to use a normal pickle lid (ie protected from any acid acting on the lid) when bottling honey?

Are 'normal' honey lids plain because there is no need for a plastic layer, perhaps there is a tighter fit which may get gummed up or any other reason such as a food reg?

Or can I use whatever lids I like. So if I get a batch of pickle or jam jars I can use them for jam, pickle or honey?

The other thing is labels. Until I am producing any significant volume (if I ever am) I would quite like to print my own labels. Any advice on what is best? Is there a template I can use with a specific sized label by, eg Avery? Also, where can I find the full spec for what is required?

Finally, where is a good place to get tins for wax/ lip balm, etc?

Many thanks all.

Last edited:
The Specific Gravity (density) of honey has to be considered, at 1.45 it's nearly half again as that of water.The design of honey jars keep this in mind.

So when you fill say a twelve ounce jar, the top of the honey looks right in relation to the top of the jar.

If you are selling You can do your own labels if they comply with labeling regulations.
Search the web for
British Beekeepers Association Advisory Leaflet Number B 10
, (as don't know how to upload a PDF) and look at the labels offered by T***s for inspiration.

The Specific Gravity (density) of honey has to be considered, at 1.45 it's nearly half again as that of water.The design of honey jars keep this in mind.

So when you fill say a twelve ounce jar, the top of the honey looks right in relation to the top of the jar.

Gotcha, so the volume may not be the same to deliver the same net weight?

As honey is liquid when its put in the jar why can we not sell honey by fluid measure in stead of weight?

Avery do a free software programme called Design pro 5 (can download it of the web), it matches up to their label sizes and is fairly easy to use once you've got the hang of it. Have used it successfully on my jars and had several complements on the presentation.

Avery do a free software programme called Design pro 5 (can download it of the web), it matches up to their label sizes and is fairly easy to use once you've got the hang of it. Have used it successfully on my jars and had several complements on the presentation.

What size label did you use, because it seemed to me the labels available were either too small or too large for a 1lb jar?

Know what u mean re. size went for 63.5mm x 38.1 easy to get labels that size and works ok on half pound jars, might be a bit puny on a 1lb jar.

What type of printer did you use for the labels?

I read somewhere that inkjet printers that use dye based ink are not great for any labels as the ink is not waterproof and smudges easily.

honey jars come with a seal built into the lid rim.
labels? mine cost £2 per 100 from local bee equipment supplier ( and are all regs compliant)

for such a little outlay, by faff around?

Now that is a silly question if there is a ha'penny to be saved Tony...lol

PH

Come on Admin - get rid of the beeping asterisks

Wasn't he a little Gaul,mate of Obelix and co.

Last edited:
Yes inkjet label can smudge if got wet but at the scale I'm producing its not a problem. Personally most of the ready to buy labels were just too twee for my taste. Making your own design can be a bit of fun and you end up with something distinctive.

You also have the option with the Avery software of uploading your design and they will print it for you.

I use a free avery design prog works a treat.

Latest posts

Back