Honey Jar Labels ???

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never really needed to buy honey labels before, I have previously designed my own and printed them off. which can be a bit fiddly.
However so far this season I have had a bumper crop and will probably go down the road of purchasing my lables.
Can anyone recommend a label printing company, obviously there is Thorns, but I am open to options ! Thanks.

I was buying labels but I find they sometimes are delivered and not really what i wanted so a got a £20 printer Facebook market and transparent paper from Amazon 🤷 ..l least if I mess it up doesn’t cost me much …

I agree Enrico. Since my colour laser printer bit the dust and I bought a black and white printer, I really like the clean look of b/w against the golden honey. David (The Apiarist) uses black and white and I was impressed so gave it a go. Very pleased with the result.
I've been meaning to try b&w transparent labels to really show the honey, but transparent labels are a lot pricier than a bulk pack of paper ones...

What do you use, out of interest. I have to admit to a fair degree of ignorance of DTP-type software on Linux.

James
Avery label designer is dead simple and as it's web based it's quite happy on whatever OS (Firefox/KDE/Arch definitely works).
They try and push you towards creating an account and saving your labels online, and to use their printing service, but there's an option to download the .avery file locally and open it again later, and you can also download the final pdf.

I've been meaning to try b&w transparent labels to really show the honey, but transparent labels are a lot pricier than a bulk pack of paper ones...

Avery label designer is dead simple and as it's web based it's quite happy on whatever OS (Firefox/KDE/Arch definitely works).
They try and push you towards creating an account and saving your labels online, and to use their printing service, but there's an option to download the .avery file locally and open it again later, and you can also download the final pdf.
That's really interesting we use avery, looking to try someone different as their labels are £60 for 200!!!! I thought that was a bit pricey, but I'm not sure if that's the going price

I use a small dymo 450 thermal printer, the software allows one to design a label, input any pic one wishes & chnage the layout for any batch of honey.

I designed my own labels and I have a laser printer, so I print them onto A4 label sheets then just cut them with a knife. Having my own design means I can print the best before dates directly on the labels (I use Adobe Illustrator to edit the design) - I just print as many labels as I need for each batch I'm jarring. I also have tamper seals, which again I print onto label sheets, but because they're not just straight cuts I use a digital cutter to cut out them out for me.

My wife designs them in photoshop and then I put them into a template and print them onto cheap Labels4U sheets. Bought a nice coloured laser printer last year which is just the best.

I have tried several suppliers and found Flexilabel have the right sizes in gloss white at a fair price. I use Avery Design Pro (free) and Inkscape to do the design. DP allows you to create custom size labels to match Flexilabel
sizes.
I got a full colour laser printer from gumtree £20 and can please myself now on how many and modified.

I use a small dymo 450 thermal printer, the software allows one to design a label, input any pic one wishes & chnage the layout for any batch of honey.
Really? How do you do that? I bought one after reading the Apiarist's article (without doing my homework!) and the 2 x standard label sizes just don't look enough. And if you look at David's jars the labels are actually quite small on the jar. I'm only just starting with it, but it looks really limited.

I should rephrase the design bit, the layour out one can make it what ever one wishes, any pic is a download/ import job. Of course one can design/draw one's own drawing take a pic and uload it.
For my 340g jars, a 101mm x 54 mm label is plenty right size for me.

I spent a few days practising with the with layouts and then once happy, just saved a whle bunch. The simplicity is changing the info at will when one is bored with a design/layout and positioning any info as and where one wants it to go.

Another vote for Nantmoel's Bespoke Label Solutions. - Everyone comments on how professional are labels look.

I designed my own labels and I have a laser printer, so I print them onto A4 label sheets then just cut them with a knife. Having my own design means I can print the best before dates directly on the labels (I use Adobe Illustrator to edit the design) - I just print as many labels as I need for each batch I'm jarring. I also have tamper seals, which again I print onto label sheets, but because they're not just straight cuts I use a digital cutter to cut out them out for me.

As a tip, every time I made a new label for a different batch of honey, I named the saved file with the batch number, weight and the date. That way your file list is then a record of the batch numbers you've used which is an essential (and maybe oft overlooked?) part of the batch number system.

That's really interesting we use avery, looking to try someone different as their labels are £60 for 200!!!! I thought that was a bit pricey, but I'm not sure if that's the going price
Wow! I use a local printer... he did me a 1000 labels for £90 :)

Well....could we revert to English please? I haven't the faintest idea what you lot are talking about. I loved pacemaker and coreldraw which I was very competent with until they no longer kept up with newer windows formats and I gave up DTP. I rather wish I hadn't...

I'm a satisfied Nantmoel customer. Better, more professional labels definitely lead to an increase in sales both from existing and also additional outlets. Cost was similar to Moobee above which was an increase over a transparent Thornes label but the look (and sales) were far superior.

Wow! I use a local printer... he did me a 1000 labels for £90 :)
Just had a label delivery from Thornes, 2*1000 of one & 1000 of another (same label just slightly different details). A label I’ve used for I don’t know how many years & am very happy with. I’ve never really looked anywhere else but don’t think I will with the price quoted above…………my invoice was £114 for the 3000.

Designed my custom label for free on canva. Just ordered 1000 labels 92mmx67mm off https://www.handylabels.co.uk
£55 total including delivery for premium paper labels. Can get them £5 cheaper if you don’t select premium paper.
Use NEW10 code for 10% off.
Reason I went with them was cheapest by far for printing a custom label and they send you a pdf to print out and check against your jar etc before they print them.

Designed my custom label for free on canva. Just ordered 1000 labels 92mmx67mm off https://www.handylabels.co.uk
£55 total including delivery for premium paper labels. Can get them £5 cheaper if you don’t select premium paper.
Use NEW10 code for 10% off.
Reason I went with them was cheapest by far for printing a custom label and they send you a pdf to print out and check against your jar etc before they print them.
To fit a 12oz jar.

Back