Honey Buckets

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pargyle

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I bought some rectangular buckets last year. I'm a bit short on space for storage and the round tubs take up a lot of floor space. I was quite happy with them (Another member on here bought some as well) but the handes are a bit unreliable and the shelves I have for storage don't quite fit the shape.

So, last week I had a look around the internet for an alternative and I've bought some of these:

https://ampulla.co.uk/shop/plastic/...lids/10-litre-square-plastic-bucket-with-lid/

They arrived today .. I went for the 10 litre ones .. Being square I can get six of them on the shelf that will only hold 3 of the the round ones. The handles don't look much better than the rectangular ones but I can live with that. They worked out at just over £5 each taking into account carriage - slightly more than the round ones but not extortionate.

There's a lot of other containers on their website that look interesting as well.

I love containers
I’ll have a mooch round their site then have a good pantry clear out. As for honey I could probably get all of this years into a couple of your buckets

The handles look better Phil, I have been having an email conversation with Auer about their handles. They now tell me that the handle is supposed to distort! :icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

The handles look better Phil, I have been having an email conversation with Auer about their handles. They now tell me that the handle is supposed to distort! :icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

Yeh ... the buckets are fine but having had one handle snap (albeit as it was only just off the floor) there's a difference between distort and snap ! It was a good find Neil and the one's I have will get used but reckon these are just a bit better shape for me being square - the handles ? Not convinced yet - time will tell.

Just so other's can see the other ones we bought (they are a bit cheaper) here's a link to those:

https://www.auer-packaging.com/gb/en/Pails-oblong/EE-10,3-286.198DK.html

Many years ago I had just laid a new stone floor before putting the kitchen in a freshly liquified 30lb bucket handle snapped and hit the floor sending honey in all directions. To say the least I was not happy.

Many years ago I had just laid a new stone floor before putting the kitchen in a freshly liquified 30lb bucket handle snapped and hit the floor sending honey in all directions. To say the least I was not happy.

It's like emulsion paint ... a cupful of the stuff will spread to an unimaginable area in the time that you can say Oh .. sh1 and a cup of tea..

The weight of honey is a lot more than the weight of water so some buckets are not strong enough. I now tend to buy fermenting buckets from the local home brew shop when I need them. It's good to give these little shops business whilst they are still around. Food safe, strong with a metal handle, I just hope I don't see any fermenting in them!

Last edited:
I now tend to buy fermenting buckets from the local home brew shop when I need them.

Bucket quandary: started off years ago buying six, bought some more of a different shape when the supplier changed stock, was given some, found sixty good ones free from work, and on it goes.

Result is that I have four different types of bucket which is a right pain when rummaging for the right lid and stacking. My dream of a simple life is to have one design of bucket, but I'd have to start again from scratch.

Considering instead one of these for each source of honey: https://nisalashop.eu/epages/1131df...c7-0f03-48ed-a865-d4539aa39ae7/Products/LB-50. I recall that you use them, Adam; still satisfied?

Never bought a bucket yet.

I find a baker who does sandwiches or similar and ask them to set their empty aside for me. Amazing what a jar of honey gets.....and I can live with circular at that price. :)

PH

Latest posts

Back