hello from kent

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
hi thanks for adding me, Im learning lots ,I have never kept bees ,I have a wbc hive i need to get a few bits for and make some repairs to its not to bad it has a solid floor but needs the rear board changed i have 2 outer frames at least one needs some new wood for the lip that runs round the inside about 10mm square i have a nice brood box and one nice super one ok with a clean ,loads of frames that were all fitted with new foundation that has got warm and gone abit wiggley but i do have new un-wired foundation i need to find out how to fit, i have a queen excluder and a crown board with a round hole for a feeder but no feeder and a roof that is ok ish but i think i will replace the ply in it ,i also have a tub of spare metal and plastic spacers that go on the frames, bee escapes some cone bits for the roof .
so as far as i can see i need 2 outer frames a porch, 1 super ,cavity lath,mouse guard ,wasp out for wbc entrance and a normal crown board ?

im hoping to get a jacket and viel next week and i have a smoker hive tool and brush

hi thanks for adding me, Im learning lots ,I have never kept bees ,I have a wbc hive i need to get a few bits for and make some repairs to its not to bad it has a solid floor but needs the rear board changed i have 2 outer frames at least one needs some new wood for the lip that runs round the inside about 10mm square i have a nice brood box and one nice super one ok with a clean ,loads of frames that were all fitted with new foundation that has got warm and gone abit wiggley but i do have new un-wired foundation i need to find out how to fit, i have a queen excluder and a crown board with a round hole for a feeder but no feeder and a roof that is ok ish but i think i will replace the ply in it ,i also have a tub of spare metal and plastic spacers that go on the frames, bee escapes some cone bits for the roof .
so as far as i can see i need 2 outer frames a porch, 1 super ,cavity lath,mouse guard ,wasp out for wbc entrance and a normal crown board ?

im hoping to get a jacket and viel next week and i have a smoker hive tool and brush
suggest you join your local Beekeepers association, they often have equipment for sale and you can have access to local beekeepers for advice too

Those cone bits for the roof are useless as well, wasps can certainly get through them, and so could bees in one of mine! Use a bit of mesh across the hole instead.

Those cone bits for the roof are useless as well, wasps can certainly get through them, and so could bees in one of mine! Use a bit of mesh across the hole instead.
the cones are bee escapes, they are there to allow any bees trapped between lifts and inners during inspections etc to escape after you close up

i have these bits IMG_20230514_091529.jpg
IMG_20230514_092117.jpg
slots 2.6mm round hole in the end just under 6mm and i thought i had seen som brass ones some where in a box that i was thinking of fitting just because i had them and the might look better

the cones are bee escapes, they are there to allow any bees trapped between lifts and inners during inspections etc to escape after you close up
I’ve found they let them in, as well as out. Those going in do not belong to that colony. I leave my crownboard holes open all the time so don’t need escapes in the roof.

In fairness there is normality enough bits of the boxes split off to allow bees back in!!! On the plus side the nose of the cone can just be squished….

Latest posts

Back